Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help topics are not displaying when using Windows 8/IE 10

Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a WebHelp system created in RoboHelp 7. When opening that Help from our application using Windows 8 with Internet Explorer 10 and allowing blocked content, the Help topics do not display in the right pane when clicking a topic from the Contents in the left pane. Below are the steps:

1. Open the Help system from the Help menu within the application.

2. The Allow Blocked Content displays and I allow it.

3. The Help opens and if I click a topic from the TOC in the left pane, the topic doesn't display in the right pane.

A workaround we found was to widen the left pane and the topic then displays. Also, if you don't allow blocked content, this issue doesn't happen. However, I need to allow blocked content in order for PDFs within the Help to open properly and also because the Search doesn't display without allowing blocked content.

We also tested this with a Help system that was created using Robohelp 9 and have the same issue. I'm wondering if RoboHelp 10 would solve this problem.

Does anyone know if IE 10 requires Help systems to be created in RoboHelp 10 to work properly, at least when allowing blocked content?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opened IE10 on Windows 8 machine and reduced size. Opened help, it opened in that instance of IE10 and worked perfectly. Does someone there have Windows 8 and IE10 on a home machine? (Something outside your environment.)

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Since you are unable to duplicate this issue with your generated output, I'm beginning to think that it might be something related to our IE 10 settings. And, we don't have the capability at the present time to test this on a Win8/IE 10 home machine. At this point, since we have discovered a couple of workarounds for the one Help system, I am not going to investigate this for a couple of more weeks when I need to test another Help system for one of our Web applications. I'm expecting the Help system for the Web applicaiton to not have the same issues as the Desktop Help application but I could be wrong.

I do appreciate all your Help with assisting me in trying to find a resolution. If I ever find a solution for this current issue, I will post to this chain. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not so much a home machine as one configured outside your environment. Put the output on a flash drive and go down your local PC store.

I'll leave it with you for now but post back your results, either way.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also observed this issue with IE 10 on Window 8 and Windows 7 (with the IE 10 preview).

If the user adds the site serving the help to their list of Compatibility View sites, the problem goes away.

1. Click Alt | Tools | Compatiblity View settings.
  2. Click Add.
  3. Click Close.

As this issue will be experienced by lots of end users, I would expect Adobe to resolve the issue.

Edit: I forgot to add that this is on a help generated with RoboHelp 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like the post above (post#28) I see this with Help generated using RH10.0.0.287 on both Win 8 and Win 7 with IE10.

My help is online and uses a skin that has been used for several versions.

I see this problem when the help is called from the desktop application, and I also see it when I open it directly from the browser.

Viewing the site in Compatibility View fixes the problem.

I will try:

Adding Mark of the Web

Generating without a skin (ick) 

Creating a new skin from scratch.

Peter, if you want to try this, I can send you the url for the web help privately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't doubt the topics are not displaying for you, seeing that will not help. The problem is that I have not been able to recreate it. Cathy Snyder sent me a project and I generated it on a Windows 8 / IE10 / Rh10 machine. It worked just fine. I sent the project and output to Cathy and it still would not work for her.

If you are willing to send me your project, I will generate from that and see what happens.

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing about the IE10 Compatibility Settings is that it is enabled by

default for intranets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I can't send you th eproject as the info in it is still proprietary. I can try to create a simpler example.

Other things I noted:

you have to view the content from an online source, and you have to clear the browser cache between attempts to get it to fail cosistently. Viewing the content locally results in inconsistent behavior.

I created a new project from RH 10 and did not see this problem with Web Help.

I then imported the skin from the problem project and regenerated - no problem with that content either.

I tried generating the problem project with the default RH10 skin - still fail.

I'll be away for 2 weeks, will follow up when I return. Meanwhile, I did file a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your project would not be made public or passed on. There are only a  handful of Adobe Community Professionals for RoboHelp worldwide and it  is something we value far to highly to misuse any project we see. I have  seen some highly confidential stuff in this work and no one has had  cause to complain. Your call, my help works just fine.

Seriously, seeing your output does not help. I need a project that fails. Enjoy your holiday and let us know what you want to do when you get back.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I am (finally) back and the project has been sent via method requested on your website. Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Note that you need to view it from an online location in order to see it misbehave. Viewing the output locally does not exhibit the problem.

Thanks,

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeanne,

I think the issue has to do with the fact that IE10 disables compatibility view by default for Internet sites and enables it for Intranet sites (go figure).

This means that the behaviour could probably be described as expected.

You can force compatibility mode for Internet sites if you use the code I posted above.

Thanks,

Donal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh browsers

Seems we are in a constant struggle to make them work as we want while the makers are in an equal struggle to prevent us from doing so!

SMH...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are correct. I'm going to try the solution you proposed as a stop-gap until there is a true fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, TechDoc Jeanne

I hesitate to jump into the fray here, but if you continue to have issues, it might be worth looking into the notorious "ChromeFrame" issue that seems to be cropping up in several threads here. My client encountered a similar issue to yours (though not exactly.) It was fixed with a simple addition to the whver.js file. We consolidated some of the fixes on Peter Grainge's site - Item #10 in Peter's "Using RoboHelp 10" article. It might be worth looking into.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh10/using_rh10.htm

I post this because while your symptom is a bit different, you also mentioned that you are calling the help from an application and I wonder if that application may have installed a "ChromeFrame plugin" which interferes with some of WebHelp's Javascript code. Just a thought.

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

Twitter: @hypertexas

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cathy / Jeanne

I have now tested the project that Jeanne sent me but I didn't have to do as much as I thought I would. The plan was to generate the webhelp and test that locally and on a webserver. Jeanne had left the webhelp she had created so I tested that locally using a Windows 8 / IE10 machine and it worked perfectly. I clicked the About link and it displayed the content in a non-maximised window.

Then I put that same output on a webserver and that works perfectly too accessed from the same machine.

If Jeanne can give me permission I can put the same output on my site in an area that Google should not search. I could then give that link to just Jeanne and Cathy. One of two things will happen.

1. You will see it working suggesting the issue is with your server. That is my expectation as the same output on Jeanne's server is giving the issue.
  2. You will see the blank topic when you click About suggesting the issue is with your browser.

Looking through the thread and offline posts, the only time this error occurs is when the help is on your servers.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK to post privately. I should also send you both the link to the same generated output on my server so you can test that. That would also tell us if it is server-specific (Peter, you would see the problem with the content at this location...).

Remember when testing that you must clear the browser cache, open the page via the link, then immediately click a link within the topic page (without resizing the window first). When you do this, the topic page goes blank until you resize the window.

One note of interest: According to Microsoft, there is a browser emulation parameter that can be set at the server level. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288325(v=vs.85).aspx and then http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj676915(v=vs.85).aspx

Might you have such a pararmeter set on your server? I know it is not set on mine.

Adding this Meta tag to the header of the root page of Help solved the problem for me:

<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE9" >

But this has to be done post-generation (it gets overwritten each time Help is generated), so not an ideal solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Our problem was not with a Web application but just opening the Help locally or from a desktop application. Clicking the topic in the Contents in the left pane produced a blank topic in the right pane. I'm thinking it most likely is an IE 10 issue. I recently acquired a Windows 8/IE 10 machine and hope to investigate this more within the next week or so and determine if the issue also happens within our Help systems that are opened from Web applications. I will post back with my findings at that time. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeanne

I do see the issue on your server, that's why I want to put the same help on my server to prove (or not) the server is the issue.

I will upload it shortly and send the link privately to both you and Cathy.

@Cathy

The thread is now long but I tried Jeanne's help both locally and on a web server. Her help is generated using Rh10 but you tried that and still had issues. Try the link I will send you and then let's review things after that.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2013 Feb 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread update.

I have been working on Jeanne's project and found that when I put the output Jeanne created onto my site, I hit the same problem. What I had been given to understand was a web server turned out not to be!

Since then I have regenerated Jeanne's help on two Rh10 machines, one on Windows 7 and one on Windows 8. Those outputs were then put on my site and they work as they should, at least they do for me. If Jeanne confirms the link works for her, then the common link with Cathy and Jeanne's projects is that they do not work when generated on their machines but do when I generate.

Once that has been established, the next step will be to investigate those two installations and the workflows.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I had time today to test the link for Jeanne's project from last week from 2/19 on my new Win8/IE 10 computer and I'm getting some inconsistent results.

The first time I opened her project, I was getting the blank page. However, the second time I went into the project after closing IE and trying again, everything seemed to work fine. Clicking on a topic in the Contents displayed that topic.

I am discovering similar issues with my projects that I open locally as well. The first time in, I see the blank page, but the second time I open it, it works fine. This is even true with the project I was having issues with when opened from the desktop application.

There is an exception. The project I generated in RH 10 seems to be opening correctly the first time I open it and I don't see a blank page in the right pane when I click a topic in the Contents in the left pane.

But, I've since discovered another issue. The Index does not display correctly when I click any keyword or subkeyword that is linked to more than one topic and topic names are cut off. This is true with projects in RH 10 and RH 9 and 7. Jeanne doesn't use an index so this issue probably doesn't affect her.

I then restarted the computer and tried again everything again and the same issues occurred. The first time into the Help, I get the blank page, the second time it works. And the projects created in RH 10 work fine the first time. But the same issues exist with all projects with the Index not displaying correctly. 

Your previous post talks about checking another link where you put your latest output. Which link is this? If you give me that link, I will try to test that as well. Thanks.

Cathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cathy,

You will see the Help work correctly on subsequent attempts if you do not clear the browser cache (not just the history, you must clear cached web pages as well).

Go to some other page (like Google) and then click: Tools > Internet options > Delete > Temporary Internet files and website files.

Problems updating content in ANY of the frames does not work correctly unless you resize the window. This includes:

clicking a link to show a new topic

clicking a tab to display the TOC or index

clicking on an entry in the TOC or Index.

Basically, any time a frame needs to display new content, it fails unless you resize the browser window.

Just FYI, the META tag proposed as a workaround earlier in this thread works fine.

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late here so will read properly in the morning. Link is in an email. Jeanne mentions clearing the browser history is important. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to recheck some things based on an email from Jeanne and I cannot do that until I am back in the office.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeanne,

When I clear the cache, it doesn't work on subsequent attempts. The exception is still the project I created in RH 10. In this project, the Contents displays the page correctly the first time and subsequent times. However, the index still has the same problem and keywords linked to multiple topics don't display correctly in the drop-down list when you click that keyword.

Peter,

I tried the link you e-mailed to me this morning and that project still has the same issue with the blank page when I open it on Win 8 / IE 10.

Cathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried again on the Windows 8 IE10 machine and I checked that temporary internet files were deleted. As stated before, I have ticked the option to always delete.

I had to type in the URL so clearly that had been cleared as well.

The default topic links are working as they should so I really suspect your browser settings but I don't know what it could be. Next week I will be meeting with an Adobe person so I will see what they know.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp