Highlighted

How can I improve ability to search glossary?

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 9, WebHelp output. I have a pre-existing project with a pretty extensive glossary, and users have asked if it's possible to add a search field. That does not seem possible (although I can think of some creative solutions to help). However, when I went through an old test project and ran the output (same version and WH output), I saw a handy alphabetical link that could help my users. But I can't get this handy field to appear in my existing project's output. Any advice? I am using a custom skin.

I tried hotspotting a few terms in the project but the handy set of links, tab, whatever you want to call it, will not display.

glossary tab.gif

I

Topics

WebHelp

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How can I improve ability to search glossary?

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 9, WebHelp output. I have a pre-existing project with a pretty extensive glossary, and users have asked if it's possible to add a search field. That does not seem possible (although I can think of some creative solutions to help). However, when I went through an old test project and ran the output (same version and WH output), I saw a handy alphabetical link that could help my users. But I can't get this handy field to appear in my existing project's output. Any advice? I am using a custom skin.

I tried hotspotting a few terms in the project but the handy set of links, tab, whatever you want to call it, will not display.

glossary tab.gif

I

Topics

WebHelp

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 01, 2014 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

That type of Glossary will appear if you choose to enable Section 508 output or if you choose "Pure HTML" as opposed to the DHTML option for the ouput.

Cheers... Rick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2014 0
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All very cool and groovy, but I lose my search field when I apply that option. Any way I can keep it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2014 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but life is full of trade offs! Sometimes we simply can't have everything.

You might consider just ignoring the built in RoboHelp glossary and simply creating a topic you then add terms and definitions to. When you do that, many possibilities open up. Formatting the entries. Including images. Adding links to other information.

If you took that approach you would have either a toolbar button to open the topic or a TOC entry.

Cheers... Rick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2014 0
xrxtw LATEST
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I thought about adding a glossary topic instead of the tab. I know there are tradeoffs but hoping to reach a happy compromise here…..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2014 0