• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How did I lose my xpj file, and can I get it back?

Explorer ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleague was showing me some of the items she wanted me to correct in a project I had worked on when I realized she was looking at a much older version. I went to my computer and reviewed it and two related projects -- it looked fine on my PC (I went to the directory and opened the index.htm file), but when I went to open the project, I couldn't find the xpj file anywhere.

Where did it go? I suppose my next step is to ask IT to get my project -- the one that works -- from the previous day's backup ... but I'm still wondering how I could have lost that xpj file.

I did look at the question from 10 years ago, but it doesn't seem to relate to my situation.

thanks for any help,

Lon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Have you done a search of the whole drive for *.xpj?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lon

Based on what you have posted I might ask if you are certain you are looking in the right folder? You stated you found the index.htm just fine but it seems you are also expecting to see the XPJ in the same folder. And that shouldn't be the case. The index.htm file is usually in a subfolder of the project. Usually you see a folder named !SSL! and other folders inside that one.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In line with Rick's response, I'm thinking that maybe you generate to a folder outside the project and that you looked at that.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your response; however, I have checked my project folders thoroughly and no .xpj file. For example, I do have .xpj files (plus many others) in:

K:\IS\Technical_Writers\Robohelp\Manuscript Review\Manuscript Review - Author\Manuscript Review - COGMemberAuthor

and (also plus many others) in

K:\IS\Technical_Writers\Robohelp\Manuscript Review\Manuscript Review - Author\Manuscript Review - COGMemberAuthor

but in my current project here

there are only -- and only -- four folders: !Language!, !ScreenLayout!, !SkinSubFolder! and !SSL! -- no .xpj nor any other files.

Now what?

Thanx!

Lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any source control system in use here? If not, then your only recourse is to get a backup copy and restore using that. BTW, you don’t mention your RH version, but only the more recent ones have handled working on projects over network drives very well. Your paths are also quite long too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeff!

I'm embarrassed to admit that, for as long as I've been working with RoboHelp, I am not familiar with Source Control, but we do perform a nightly backup of our RH projects, so I suppose I'll have to follow your backup copy suggestion.

We're using RoboHelp 2015; I didn't realize that a) our pathnames were significantly long, and b) didn't know long pathnames were a liability.

Thanks!

Lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No XPJ nor any other files"

The folders you do specify do not contain your source topics so where are they?

Peter Grainge

http://www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter!

The source files are in several folders in the !SSL! folder (in the projects that are actually functioning)...

lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... source files are also in the !SSL! folder in the project in question...

lr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!SSL! actually means Single Source Layout and only output files will ever exist there. So if you are claiming you have source files there, it's no wonder things are a mess and there is no XPJ to be found.

Source files are like raw cookie dough. When you generate WebHelp you "bake" the cookies into final output files. Just like the baked cookies are chemically different from the raw cookie dough, WebHelp output files are dramatically different from the source files they came from.

tmp4.png

tmp5.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick!

I was mistaken ... the source files are also missing, then (i.e., "there are only -- and only -- four folders: !Language!, !ScreenLayout!, !SkinSubFolder! and !SSL! -- no .xpj nor any other files.")

lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you done a search of the whole drive for *.xpj?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter!

Yes ... found the .xpj file in an older version of the project; had to import the output files to create new source files ... seems to be working okay now; I'm still not sure how it all happened ... maybe somehow I inserted an incorrect pathname into the SSL form...

thanks for all your help, guys!

lr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whatever the cause, pleased to hear you've got the show back on the road.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp