• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the formatting of the default numbered list?

Participant ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started a new RH 10 project and whenever I convert a paragraph into a numbered list by clicking the numbering button on the toolbar, the font changes to Arial. I need it to match my Normal style.

In all other RH projects if I click the numbering button, it creates the list but doesn't change the rest of the formatting. What's happening?

I've looked in the help but it tells me I need to define a new style etc etc. I've never done this before so am rather confused.

Is there a way of changing the formatting of a numbered list to match my Normal style so I can just click the toolbar button to convert a paragraph to a list?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

It's probably because the body tag is set to Arial.

Normal is equivalent to a p tag, whereas lists are ul/ol/li tags and will inherit the font from body unless otherwise configured.

So you have a couple of options for editing the stylesheet in the RH editor (double-click on the stylesheet):

1. You could change Other > Lists to your required font.
  2. You could change Other > Background + Text (BODY) to your required font. With this option, all your text should use this font, unless you define a different f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you copy the .css from a "working" project and paste that into the appropriate folder of your new project?  (Maybe rename the existing .css so that you still have it, just in case.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks yes I could do - and might have to. I just wanted to understand how it's working.

If the behaviour I'm seeing is not usual then I'll put it down to a glitch. But I thought it might be something I need to learn my way around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably because the body tag is set to Arial.

Normal is equivalent to a p tag, whereas lists are ul/ol/li tags and will inherit the font from body unless otherwise configured.

So you have a couple of options for editing the stylesheet in the RH editor (double-click on the stylesheet):

1. You could change Other > Lists to your required font.
  2. You could change Other > Background + Text (BODY) to your required font. With this option, all your text should use this font, unless you define a different font for a specific style (e.g. for headings).

If you change Background + Text (BODY), you might like to edit your stylesheet in a text editor and remove the font-family entry for the p tag, but this depends on how comfortable you are with css.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amebr, you are right - that has completely solved it.

Thank you SO much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a long shot, but I am using RH 2020 and have the same issue. My text (body) is Calibri, but if I use the toolbar Numbered List button, the numbers display in Times New Roman or something like that (not even Arial, which seems weird to me). How do I make the numbers in the numbered list always display as Calibri? 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the properties of the Decimal style to get what I needed. Wish I could delete my question. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bronxguys02 It will help someone in the future so it's good to leave it.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And I am taking advantage of your Lists and Autonumbering information on your site. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp