• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a cross reference link in RH 2020?

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp 2020.

I can't create a cross reference link (a link to content in the same topic).  As I run through the process outlined in the RH user guide, I can create the bookmark.  When I try to link the cross reference text (e.g., for more infomation, refer to....)  to the bookmark, the cross reference text is replaced by the name of the bookmark???  I honestly do not understand what I'm doing wrong.  Please help!  This is really holding me up.

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's the expected behaviour.

I think it's so you can have 'See "My Topic" on page 3' in pdfs and stuff, and the topic title stays in sync if you change the title in future. I don't think you can select a bookmark, or at least I didn't see how to do that on a very quick look. I'm not using RH2020 at the moment though so it's possible I missed where to select it.

However, I do know that inserting a hyperlink and selecting the bookmark will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked Peter Grainge's robohelp tour and the cross-reference is designed to make sure the link always matches whatever you're linking to. In your case the bookmark. Assuming you placed the bookmark next to a heading, you could cross-reference to the heading instead, and this will insert the heading text.

If you don't want the link text to match whatever you're linking to, you need to use a hyperlink instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I will try again.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Again,

When I hyperlink to the topic and select the header in the selected topic, I still go to the top of the topic.  I do not go to the selected header. The "link top" text did change, but that is managable.  It is less of a problem now that I understand that is how it is supposed to work.

I still can't get cross reference links to work. 

@Amebr:Thank you for your response, though.  It was helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to link to a bookmark, you have to have manually added the bookmark into the topic and saved the topic. Then expand the chevron next to the topic to show the bookmark. Then click on the bookmark to link. 

Amebr_0-1612670786425.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, make sure you're on update 3. When inserting a hyperlink the Display Text doesn't change unless I manually change it in the dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp