• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get a background image to display in PDF output?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to generate a user manual and training materials for a project. Need to generate pdf/paper output for hands on training. Company policy requires a background image and logo on the cover page. I have figured out the necessary styling to add the background image and see it in RH. I don't think I have any issues with the CSS as I can manually create an html file that displays the background image.  But when I generate the PDF output, the background disappears. Since it is a dark background and the accomanying company logo is white, the logo is now a polar bear in a snow storm with the background missing.Any suggestions would be welcome.

TOPICS
New UI , Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

I've noticed with inline CSS backgrounds only work in PDF output for topics in the root folder of the project. If the topic is not in the root folder the background only shows up in HTML, not PDF.

I've reported this and it should be resolved with update 3, https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-8344

If I define am external .css file with a class and use a background from there it works fine for me, also in PDF output. Make sure the background path is relative to the CSS file. As example: (I'm runnin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Robohelp are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running 2020.1.54. I upgraded to 2020.2.29 with no change to results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed with inline CSS backgrounds only work in PDF output for topics in the root folder of the project. If the topic is not in the root folder the background only shows up in HTML, not PDF.

I've reported this and it should be resolved with update 3, https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-8344

If I define am external .css file with a class and use a background from there it works fine for me, also in PDF output. Make sure the background path is relative to the CSS file. As example: (I'm running 2020.2.29)

.M001 {
background-image: url(../images/ISO-7010/ISO_7010_M001.svg);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I moved the page to the root of the project and I've tried both inline CSS and a class defined in the .css file. Made sure my relative paths are correct. In both cases, I can see the background while authoring and in a Responsive HTML 5 output, but not in PDF. I upgraded to 2020.2.29 and upgraded the project. All to no avail.I'll wait for the fix from your reported bug and hope that works. Until then, I have to move on and create my actual content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simon - thanks for entering the bug. I upgraded to version 2020.3.32 today and the background image is displaying correctly now in the PDF output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround, can you edit the PDF in Acrobat to add what you're looking for post-production? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff - That is certainly an option if all else fails. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp