• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get multi-level TOC generated from a Word file?

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am a new user of RH (version 2015), so I think I might be missing something.

I am trying to generate a help system from an already existing set of User Guides created in MS Word. The topics are multi-level and the document is styled appropriately.

When I'm linking a document to the project, the style-based pagination and TOC generation works fine except for one thing: I get all the topics and subtopics on level 1, without grouping them into books, and of course if I make any changes manually they all get lost if I need to generate the TOC again.

I could stop the pagination at a higher level (e.g., H2 instead of H3), but some of the topics have a great number of subtopics, which themselves can be rather long, so I would like to have them as separate pages and not just a single page with anchors.

Is there a way to make RH generate the multi-level TOC from the linked document or is my only option to import the documents and adjust everything manually?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread moved to RoboHelp HTML forum.

@YuD RoboHelp for Word forum shipped with older versions of RoboHelp. You are using RoboHelp 2015 to link to Word documents, a different process.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you resolve this? If not, see Printed Documentation on my site.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

... and post back if still stuck.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp