• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I hide the Back icon on Indigo navigation

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was messing around with the evaluation copy of RH I managed to generate output without the Back icon (shown on the screenpic below).

I cant remember how I did it now!

Any ideas folks?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If the top/first book has the Book with Link ticked as below, the back button doesn't get displayed - or the other tiles.

Capture1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, thinking about the history of the way RoboHelp has always worked, I'd be surprised if that was the answer. But hey, these new Responsive layouts behave in seemingly odd ways. So maybe it will be.

Hopefully if that fixes it, Johnvarvatsis will reply back.

What I would have asked to see is what the TOC looks like inside the RoboHelp editing environment. And my own guess is that I would see something like this when screen captured and posted:

101420173.png

Sooo, Johnvarvatsis - Am I close? Can you share a screen capture of your TOC editor in RoboHelp?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried doing what you suggested and when I clicked OK on the TOC Book Properties dialog (your screenshot, above) I was prompted to specify a Destination in the Link To drop down. When I did this, clickin on the top level book just took me to that topic. What I wanted to happen was for the "child" topics of the book I selected to be displayed, as shown in my original screenshot. but without the ​Back​ tile.

Here is a screenshot of the current toc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I managed to hide it, the Back tile / button would appear in the generated help for a fraction of a second and then disappear, leaving only the TOC tiles.

I wish I could remember what i'd done. Looks like Id be quite popular if I could

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's the TOC in the project (help tool evaluation) where the BACK button only appeared momentarily. Seems I'd created a nested Book, and by right clicking the nested book:  Online Help Requirements (highlighted below) I was able to edit it and add content to the book, which was an HTM file. Then when it didn't appear in the help,I must have linked the book to the HTM file while I was hacking about, realised that worked for me and done it to the rest of the books as well.

I suppose in the nested book, one could create links to child pages within the book,

("This section contains the following topics:

hyperlink to topic 1

hyperlink to topic 2

etc.")

which would be one way of getting rid of the ugly BAck button.

Guess I just confused the hell out of it in the end

Anyhow, if you don't like the back button, that's the way to get rid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the new position of the Back button is wasting screen space but I understand there was some technical reason. What I am not getting in this thread is how the user goes back other than using the Browser back button. How are you expecting them to do that?

As you are not alone in not liking the new position, maybe a feature request to find a better solution should be submitted. Please follow this link to report bugs and request features. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

https://tracker.adobe.com

Post the link to that bug/feature in this thread and others can vote for it.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success! I have a bug number (1510)

I'm beginning to realise the limitations of this tile system - or at least why I don't like it. Its great for the top level, where you might have 3 or 4 major sections. It provides an attractive front end to the help system. But suppose you have 20 topics in a second level book, with lengthy topic titles. Its not helpful or aesthetically pleasing. Not to mention that Back button. My solution for now is to create a "Contents" page in each book, with links to the topics therein. and a toc-based browse sequence. Its a lot neater and you can have long topic names without them being concatenated.

For now, I'd like to disable the second level of this navigation altogether, as it flashes up momentarily before my contents page is displayed which is a bit clunky. Can it be turned off at the second level?

As for navigation back to the top level, I will suggest my users click the company logo (home button) at the top left. Failing that, an old-school Home hyperlink at the bottom of the page will have to suffice.

I guess its all down to personal preference in the end though. If Adobe could  make the second level tiles / buttons a bit slicker I would be a happy chappie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...maybe smaller, wider tiles at the second level, arranged horizontally, would be a simple solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a thread recently regarding changing the tile size.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks peter. I saw that. But its a bit heavy going for me. Id like to get a better understanding of css and javascript at some point. but not today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp