• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I publish webhelp that will be delivered with software

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make the switch from outdated javahelp to webhelp, but am unsure as to how this will work with being delivered with software which will never touch a server.

I am using RH10 and see that I can choose from FTP, HTTP, File System, and SharePoint.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally WebHelp is intended to exist on some sort of server. What platform does your software use? For example, it it installed only on PC or is it on Phones or what? That will make a difference.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Thanks for responding.

Our software is delivered in two versions.  One uses a client-server architecture (PC and Linux clients), the other is a lite version intended to be loaded on a laptop (linux only).

My concern is for the lite version as there will be no internet access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, okay so I can see why WebHelp.

So you likely need to simply work with your software developers (specifically, the person(s) responsible for creating the installation file) to ensure they install the swarm of WebHelp files.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your biggest problem with running locally-installed WebHelp will be overcoming browser security changes; browsers have been increasingly distrustful of local html files. Tweaks made to RH and instructions to users to adjust their browser settings can overcome this (so far), but you will have a hard time of it generating WebHelp from RH10; you need to be current in your RH version. Packaging it up is relatively simple - you either zip it [the entire set of files that are created in your \!SSL!\WebHelp\ folder] up or use whatever compaction/installer tool your application is created with to create a packaged self-extracting installer (that's the method I use for both of my product lines - one's LAN server-installed WebHelp in its own self-extracting .exe file & the other is AIRHelp all packaged up with the .NET product it supports).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp