• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I reset the numbering in a set of steps in RH2019 New UI?

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created three steps, inserted an image, then added a fourth step. I'm getting:

1 ....

2 ....

3 ....

<image>

1 ....

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the cursor at the start of the text by the second 1. Right click, select Bullets and Numbering and there's a field to restart the numbering. Set it to 4 in this case.

There is an easier way of you want the image indented with the text of the list. After the last character in item 3, press Shift Enter once or twice to get the space you want above the image. Then insert the image.

Use Shift Enter again if you want some space below as well. Then press Enter only and the list will restart at 4.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, the second approach works. I had tried the first approach, bu there was no Bullets and Numbering option on the context menu. RH2019_numberedList.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, the second approach works. I had tried the first approach, bu there was no Bullets and Numbering option on the context menu.

RH2019_numberedList.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the title you said you were using Classic. That menu is from 2019 New UI.

Note the cursor in the second list below. Look on the right. There's a field Restart Numbering At.

image.png

I will edit the thread title.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. So, what's the secret to getting the Restart Numbering field to appear? If I position the cursor at steps 1, 2, or 3, I see it. If I position the cursor at step 4, I don't. (I got the 4 using your second approach)

RH2019_numberedList2.pngRH2019_numberedList2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Peter has mentioned, just put the cursor after the number (before the text) you want to restart, and then "Restart numbering" will appear in "Properties > General". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your cursor in the list item you want to renumber?

I will attach a video showing it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video will not show here for some reason. I have put it on my site.

http://www.grainge.org/demos/restartnumbering/restart.mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I saw the video. In the screen shot that I posted, the cursor did not appear, but it was before the O in Optional and the numbering field did not appear. I can work around this thanks to the other option you demonstrated. I was just wondering what might have caused it not to work here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Humour me.

1. Create a list of say three items.
  2. At the end press Enter twice so there is no number 4.
  3. Type some text.
  4. Press Enter once.
  5. Start a new list that will show 1.
  6. Type a few words.

Does Restart Numbering appear now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is Yes.

Restart numbering did not appear when I started the second numbered list. By that, I mean when pressed Enter, clicked the Numbered Lists button, and chose the numbering style. Restart numbering did appear once I started typing text into that list item.

I also tried entering a three-step list, pressing Enter twice, inserting a screen shot, pressing Enter, adding the fourth step and then clicking the Numbered Lists button. It worked fine this time.

I have no idea why it did not appear to work earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Step 6 in my earlier reply. I said there to start entering some text to make the field appear. That seems to be what you were getting wrong.

Hey ho, it's sorted now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Possibly. I'm pretty sure I had text in the list item, but it seems to be resolved now. Thanks for your help. Stay safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp