• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I resolve the "touppercase" javascript error message from the whutils.js when I click Search in a chm generated from the RH "WebHelp to CHM Converter.jsx" script?

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully created and tested a skinned WebHelp output. However, when I run the chm generated from the RoboHelp script "WebHelp to CHM Converter.jsx" and click in the Search box, it immediately displays an error dialog with the description:

Unable to get property 'toUpperCase' of undefined or null reference

!The error is thrown from the whutils.js file, line 178.

I'm running RoboHelp 2017, v13.0.2.334

Your help as always is greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not one I have seen reported. Try with one of the sample projects as a yardstick. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I ran the script on the Travel the Whirls project. When I clicked the Search button of the generated chm I received this js error:

It doesn't list the whutils.js file directly but it's essentially the same error message I received with my own project, Line 178, "toUpperCase" property.

By the way, I did a file compare between the RH2015 and RH2017 versions of that .jsx script file and they are identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you opening both projects from? If the sample is the one in Program Files rather than the one I pointed you to, you will get an error.

Also where are you generating to?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter - I just saw your response...

Yes, I am opening the Sample project as you mentioned from the ribbon on the Start page. The projects location is in my local User account:

The project's location is shown here:

I just use the defaults for the chm generation which is here:

The exact output location's address is:

C:\Users\steve.roehrig\Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\Adobe RoboHelp 2017\Samples\Travel_the_Whirls\!SSL!\Travel_the_Whirls.chm

I'm not sure why the output's location would matter though, since the chm should be portable containing everything needed in its compressed/compiled state.

Have you had a chance to test this and see if you're getting the error or is it working as expected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at a RoboHelp machine right now. I queried the location because the

length of the path and being on a different drive can cause issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies. I lost track of this one. Have you since resolved it?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter - No, I have since moved on to other work but wanted to get back to it over the weekend.

I was at the Tech Comm conference in Tacoma a couple weeks back and was introduced to this concept by one of the presenters (Rick Stone) and thought I'd try and implement it. I'll try and contact him to see if he has any thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

Even I am facing the same issue. I am using Robohelp 2019. Is there any workaround for this?

1.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Amrut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to resolve this issue? I upgraded my project from RoboHelp 10 to Robohelp 19 yesterday and we are now seeing the error whenever a user hits the search button on the published project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with Webhelp generated with RoboHelp 2017. As a test, I replaced the whutils.js with one from an earlier release and the script error went away.

I think it has to do with how IE is being called from within my software -- I do not get the error if I open the Webhelp directly in IE. Somehow I think the embedded IE that is getting used in my frame is not the same version as is on the tablet.

Was a solution for this ever found?

Many thanks!

Dawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dawn,

We were also only receiving the script errors when opening the help from within the application. We were able to force the use of a more recent version of internet explorer by creating a registry key. More information can be found in the below article:

Configuring the Emulation Mode of an Internet Explorer WebBrowser Control - CodeProject

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this same problem with WebHelp output with RoboHelp 2017 (with latest 2 updates). My other RH projects are now using Responsive HTML5 outputs, but this one still had a problem (thus my reverting back to WebHelp).  With my "no frills" WebHelp project for this stubborn help, the Search just sits there and I'm told gets a ".toUpperCase  error."  I have updated my JS files, including the whutils.js, in my other help projects, but this particular help didn't get the updated JS file from the main RH "factory" directory.  I will reapply this update, and try again.  The application that calls this worrisome help output is different from the others, and it all works fine from my local drive or non-application launch.

Does anyone know whether our getting Robohelp 2019 could fix this problems??  Maybe we need an excuses to request an upgrade!

I will double-check and re-update those JS files for this project.  Thanks for all your help here!

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp