• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Turn Off Search on Glossary Definitions

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH11 WebHelp. Novice/Intermediate Search Experience. Large Merged Project. I do not want the user search to pick up terms in a glossary definition. Seems to give certain pages too many hits and elevates topics in the Search Results that should not be elevated. Confuses my users and I do not see how to turn it off anywhere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe this is possible. When creating output, the glossary definitions are converted to regular text. So the search doesn't know the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer…

ELLEN BITTNER Senior Technical Writer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rats. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

One way you could achieve this would be to ignore the built in RoboHelp glossary function. Then create a normal topic that contains Glossary Terms and Definitions and link to that topic as needed.

Benefits are:

From the Topic Properties you are able to tell RoboHelp to exclude this topic when searching.

tmp1.png

In a topic that functions as a Glossary, you would also have the ability to include supporting images as well as hyperlinks.

tmp2.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks – that’s a possibility both for restricting search and  the whole images ability (very attractive). Still… shoot. Was hoping to make use of built-in functions. Good food for thought though – awesome!

ELLEN BITTNER Senior Technical Writer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very good idea.

Is it  then possible to make a Topic display on the Robohelp tool bar at the top?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rwrich21​ - not quite sure what you mean by that - can you add a screenshot to illustrate what you're talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Totally depends on the output type.

In WebHelp you have the option of adding buttons to the main toolbar. And you can easily configure a button added that way to point to a topic.

In CHM (Microsoft HTML Help) you have two "custom" buttons that may be added. Again, you just point your button to a topic.

If it's Responsive HTML 5 or FlashHelp, you are likely in a bit of a pickle, as those output types aren't all that easy to customize and add buttons to.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, Rick, your crystal psychic ball must be fine-tuned to figure that one out (LOL)! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, I dunno. I mean, the thread seemed to provide all the information. Basically I had replied showing how to make a glossary page using a simple topic. So it seemed to me that the person was wanting to know if one could then have a toolbar button that would open the Glossary topic. At least, that's what I interpreted. Maybe I'm wrong. LOL Only rwrich21​ can say for certain.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp