• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how long should compiling a project take?

Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleague thinks a 2+ minute compile time is too long, which prompted the question of this item.

Here are some details:

size of project: 27MB

size of project on disk: 28MB

693 files

33 folders.

So, is our compile time reasonable, or could it go faster?

thank you,

Lon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does seem a long time but there is no information about the output you are generating, the PC you are using, the version of RoboHelp and whether you are generating locally or to a network drive

Have you tried deleting the CPD file?

Very difficult to answer questions like this. Have you tried generating in a different environment to get a comparison?

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quick test on one of our bigger projects.

On disk it has 120 MB and 1562 files. The actual number of generated topics is 332 (as reported in the log). To generate WebHelp or Responsive HTML5 to my local PC, it took 45 seconds - so yes, assuming you are generating to a local drive, on a decent PC, it could be faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to re-visit this problem, as we had put it on the back burner for a while, but as I have some time, I'd like to update the issue with more details:

PC: Windows 8.1 Pro, Intel Core processor, CPU 3.30 GHz, RAM 16 GB, 64-bit OS

Robohelp 2017 (on my machine, but is generating to a network drive)

Project 1:

size of project: 24.4MB

size of project on disk: 25.5MB

684 files

33 folders.

Compile/generate time: 2 minutes 15 seconds

Project 2:

size of project: 16.9MB

size of project on disk: 17.7MB

580 files

25 folders.

Compile/generate time: 3 minutes 25 seconds

I should add that this data is as of this morning; I was working on this yesterday afternoon, and both projects took 8-10 minutes to compile (generate?). In fact, the blue circle sat there spinning for about 40 seconds before the compile even started. At one point, I did a ctrl-alt-delete to see what was happening, and saw Robohelp Not Responding.

and yes, I did try deleting the .cpd file ... no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just for comparison it would be interesting to see what the results are if you copy the projects to the local C drive and perform the generation from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp