• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add a second CHM file to a software program?

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a lone tech writer, and I work with a small team of developers. I don't have much experience in creating the CHM files & integrating it into the software. I've inherited this project as well.

We produce a suite of software programs, most of which are Android tablet based. The Android app help files are HTML5, and those work fine on the various tablets. There's no issue with the HTML5 help.

The administrator of our suite uses a Windows-based software. The admin program has its own .CHM file, and the context-sensitivity works perfectly. That much I can figure out on my own. I would like to add the content of the Android tablet help files as separate CHM files within the Windows program. This way, the admin can read the same help as the users in the field without having to open multiple programs or have multiple devices. I thought it would be as easy as batch generating the Android app help as both HTML5 and CHM.

When my developer linked the second CHM file to the Windows app, the result is

HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section.

I've been researching this, and it seems to have something to do with context-sensitivity. But what if we don't want context-sensitivity in this case? This second help system is provided as a courtesy, and it doesn't need to be context sensitive. It only needs to be opened when the Help > Android app help menu it clicked.

Is it possible to have non-context sensitive CHM files? Or are we trying to do something that help really isn't designed to do? If it is the latter, we are open to the possibility of abandoning the idea.

My RoboHelp system information

RoboHelp 2019 Classic (14.0.6.004)

Windows 10 (10.0.15063 Build 15063)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

The message seems to indicate that a context sensitive call was issued but no context sensitivity actually exists. It would be interesting to know how your developer has linked the help so it opens.

Personally, I'm wondering if it may be as simple as providing a link from the CHM that is working that would open the second CHM if needed.

In the event you also want the second CHM searchable from within the first, you may need to investigate creating a merged CHM setup. To do that, you simply add a merged reference to the TOC of the master. Then you navigate to the TOC of the second CHM. There are also a few nuances beyond this, but let's first see which avenue you think may be best for this situation.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp