Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to generate WebHelp with .html instead of .htm

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please let me know how to generate WebHelp with file extension .html for files like, "whgbody.htm", "cshdat_robohelp.htm" etc.

I am using RoboHelp HTML9.

Regards,

Prashant

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fairly regular question but Search doesn't seem to find it.

I believe many of Rh's internal workings in the output rely on the extension being HTM. Changing their extension would thus break the help.

WebHelp from Rh9 is unlikely to work properly in modern browsers so do test your work.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for quick reply.

Currently, we have decided to do one of the following. Please let me know which is better option.

Option 1:

1. Doc writer will provide .HTML extension for each topic manually.

2. Developer will write a script which will convert .htm extensions to .html for files like, "whgbody.htm", "cshdat_robohelp.htm" etc.

3. The same script will adjust any internal links as well as will edit all of the JavaScript files so they correctly refer .html instead of .htm.

Option 2:

Write Java classes for each HTM file. Reason is - We use apache click and all *.htm files go through ClickServlet.  .HTM can work with clickServlet. But to do so, developer needs to write Java classes for each HTM file,

Awaiting your response.

Regards,

Prashant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said that changing the extension would break the help so only testing workarounds will tell you whether they work at all and what issues are encountered, especially using an old version of RoboHelp.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thanks Peter.

We will test the workaround.

Regards,

Prashant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

By the following statement, do you suggest that we must upgrade RoboHelp 9 with latest RoboHelp version?

"WebHelp from Rh9 is unlikely to work properly in modern browsers so do test your work."

Will upgrading RoboHelp resolve the multiple browser support issue?

Regards,

Prashant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the current version of RH is now RH2015, the earliest version you can expect fixes for would be RH11. You running RH9 puts you 3 versions behind. Browser security is constantly changing & RH only reacts to the most current version and one prior (usually).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

The WebHelp generated from RH 9 is working fine in Chrome and Safari. But, it is not working fine with Firefox and IE.

We tried on RH 15 trial version, still we cannot see WebHelp on Firefox and IE.

Could you please help us in resolving this issue? It will help us to take decision whether to buy RH 15 or not.

Regards,

Prashant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make sure you have installed patch 2. That contains improvements to WebHelp because some browsers were giving issues. What are you seeing in those browsers? The TOC being empty?

I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with the original query about creating .html files though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ll need to install the patches for RH2015 that came out after release & then regenerate your help. That should work on all browsers (currently).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff and William.

Is the the correct patch?
http://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/robohelp-patches-and-updates

Regards,

Prashant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes to the discussion of the various patches out there – see this page - http://www.adobe.com/support/robohelp/downloads.html for the patches themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

We have tested WebHelp on trial version of RH 15. Now, it is working fine for Mozilla, Chrome, Safari. But there is still problem with IE.

The problem is - When you open CSH in IE, it opens in tab, But when you click on Help button on other screen, the same tab becomes blank instead of showing help.

Please let me know how we can resolve the problem

Regards,

Prashant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2016 Mar 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, one more question.

Currently, I have TCS 3.5. Now, I have bought TCS 2015. Do I need to upgrade or can TCS 3.5 and TCS 2015 can co-exist on the same machine?

Prashant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, multiple version of TCS can exist on the same machine EXCEPT – for Acrobat – it doesn’t play nice with multiple versions, so stick to uninstalling it from the older version & reinstalling it in the newest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think installing the later version uninstalls the previous one.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

You mean in case of Acrobat or TCS?

Prashant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think he’s referring to Acrobat, but I wouldn’t trust it to act correctly. At least keep your eyes on it & if your install of Acrobat goes sideways, you can always go back and uninstall all flavours of Acrobat and reinstall just the newest one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant either. My experience is that installing TCS with Acrobat selected overwrites the older version of Acrobat and I would expect the same to happen installing standalone Acrobat.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

One more question:

We want to have versioning with RoboHelp and to let our writers work on the project at the same time. We have CVS. Can CVS be integrated with RoboHelp seamlessly?

Regards,

Prashant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't do source control. Check out the Source Control forum.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure.

Thanks Peter and Jeff for all your help. I appreciate.

Regards,

Prashant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For RH2015, make sure that you’ve loaded all the patches that have come out since its release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp