Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to handle tab stops when converting from Frame to RoboHelp

Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several examples of programming code that have tabulated indentations in the FrameMaker documents I have inherited.

Frame.png

But when I convert to RoboHelp, the tab stop is only recognized by a single space.

What would be the best way to deal with this? There are so many examples, and sometimes there can be multiple levels.

Remember, all these manuals have already been written in Framemaker, so the less I have to manipulate these samples, the better!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that this is controlled by the css that is used when

importing/linking the FM docs to RH. Maybe the css wizard Willam can

help out on this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've put this in the FrameMaker Integration forum in the hope that you may get more replies. Can move it back if you prefer.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 29, 2009 Dec 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm bumping this to see if I get an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone from Adobe get back to you on this bug?

Now that TCS3 is out there, did they fix it?

Do you know how we can find out the status of this and other issues with Adobe?

We have been very disappointed with TCS2 and if Adobe hasn't fixed known issues from that version, I wonder if they will in TCS3...or ever? Flare is looking pretty good at this point.

Missy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter- I'm having the same issue with code examples. Have you found an answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you are addressing me as my expertise is RoboHelp. Your issue is a FrameMaker one, hence moving the post here and that is my only involvement in this thread.

I'm sorry but I cannot help you on this one.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter- it is a RoboHelp question. I have formatted tab stops correctly in FrameMaker 2015 but they are not converting correctly in RoboHelp 11.

Thanks-

Lauren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which makes it a FrameMaker Integration issue. It needs the skills of

someone with FrameMaker skills as a start point.

I would help you if I could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue. Has anyone replied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many ways to represent code blocks in HTML, but they are typically quite different than what you would use for publishing to a PDF from FrameMaker.

Typically, in HTML, using <pre>...</pre> blocks will preserve the content and you can use the CSS tab-size property for the pre statement to control the number of px used by the tab. However, it's up to the specific browser to display the content, and some may not render/expand a tab character as expected.

Here's one reference on what you need in code examples when rendered as HTML: Best Practice for Code Examples

You may need to create an alternate FM template to modify your code styles when creating output for HTML-based applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp