• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent TOC font from changing color? (RH 2020)

Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

In RH 2020.4.173, I'm trying to set the color of the main TOC to black and only black. I've changed the font color in the skin editor. But the TOC behavior remains unchanged -- it starts out all black. But when I click on some topics, the whole TOC changes to purple (with the selected topic blue). Clicking some topics changes it all back to black. But others, purple.

Each topic that changes from purple to black will do so consistently. However, I cannot detect a pattern that explains why certain topics go purple while others go black. 

Is there a setting where I can just disable the color change, globally? That's what I really want. User testing tells us the color changes are annoying and distracting. Our end user tries to understand what the color changes represent. But it becomes clear the color changes aren't systematic.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which skin are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, did you import your content from Word (recently or at some time in the past)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Amber.

Thanks for your replies. I'm using Oceanic. 

I imported MS Word content over a year ago (in RH 2019 Classic) and haven't imported any Word content since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given you imported Word content, I think it's some Word coding affecting the toc. It wouldn't have affected Classic output because of the different way the output was structured.

Go into a topic in code view and look for something like the following in the head section. The exact code might be a bit different, especially the colour codes.

<style>
a:visited { 
    color: #954F72;
}
a: link {
    color: #0563C1;
}
</style>

If you find that, you need to delete it from every topic. I think RH2020 allows regular expressions now, so if you can find a friendly developer, they should be able to whip up a find expression based on the exact code in your topic.

If you don't find that code, then check the body tag. If it looks like <body vlink=[colour code] link=[colour code]> then you want to delete everything except the tag so it looks like <body>. (I don't think RH2020 uses this as it's no longer approved code, but I thought I'd mention it in case it slipped through from Classic somehow.)

Post back with how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amber.

Thanks so much for walking me through this. Sure enough, here it is: 

martinl83372021_0-1623346922921.png

Should I delete everything that I've selected?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, everything you selected should be deleted. Let us know if that fixes the toc link problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Thank you so much.

Here's two follow-up questions. Is it okay to leave a gap where I've deleted that code (Screenshot 1).

SCREENSHOT 1

martinl83372021_0-1623416790388.png

Also, I've found two topics that, when I click each one in the TOC, the TOC disappears until I move to another topic (using browse sequence buttons) (Screenshots 2 and 3). I think this behavior may precede the TOC color issue, but I'm not sure.

SCREENSHOT 2

martinl83372021_1-1623416914417.png

SCREENSHOT 3

martinl83372021_2-1623416976483.png

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not where that code was. What you removed was above the body tag. However, any blank line can be removed.

You need to remove the colour definitions from all topics.

I haven't seen anyone report that clicking a TOC page causes the TOC to go blank. Your screenshots are the code view of two topics. I'm not seeing how they relate to the TOC in the output.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've spotted a pattern for when clicking a topic the TOC disappears. Each one is the first topic in a book that is nested inside another book that itself is nested inside a book. In this screenshot, see how the book-nesting pattern goes like this:

START HERE/About ETF  >  About ETF  >  What We Do

And the next two books stay nested at that level. In each of these 3rd-level books, clicking the first topic makes the TOC disappear (circled in Screenshot 1):

SCREENSHOT 1

martinl83372021_0-1623423953605.png

Do you think that makes any difference?

Screenshots 2-3 show the code view of "2.Mission Driven," which is the first of these topics that makes the TOC go blank.

SCREENSHOT 2

martinl83372021_1-1623424959526.png

SCREENSHOT 3

martinl83372021_2-1623425020771.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First of all try applying Update 5.

Then create a new test project with just enough topics to test the theory. No content required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp