• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set width of table style (RH 2019, new UI)

Contributor ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

I'm creating a table style to create a "side bar" format. (See screenshot, right-hand column, beneath the image.)

Side bar style.PNG

I'd like to set the width in the style to be narrower. But I don't want to use pixels, afraid that would forfeit the responsive properties of my skin (Oceanic).

How do I do this? 

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Use Select Table and in the properties set the widths you want. I tend to use % values but you can use pixels. RoboHelp will adjust all the columns proportionally so you won't lose the responsiveness.

Where's that test project to try it out? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

This goes back on what I suggested earlier but it should resolve your issue.

CREATING A TABLE STYLE

1. Open you CSS file in the CSS editor.
  2. Right click on Table Styles and select New.
  3. Enter a name in Class, ignore Pseudo Class.
  4. Go to the Border settings.
  5. Set the type of border (usually solid), the colour and the width.
  6. Not how the preview is showing those settings around the outside of the table only.
  7. Now do the same in the Cell settings. Note that the preview will show two lines between cells.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Select Table and in the properties set the widths you want. I tend to use % values but you can use pixels. RoboHelp will adjust all the columns proportionally so you won't lose the responsiveness.

Where's that test project to try it out? 🙂

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yes, the test project!  I would've forgotten. 😞

Thanks much, Peter. That's awesome I can just use pixels. If I use % values, what's the concept -- is it a percentage of the whole page? Or of the existing column? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I thought I knew what I was doing . . .

When I set the "width" under the Layout tab (screenshot), it doesn't do what I want. I'm trying to narrow the width of the table. (It's a single-cell table.)  How do I do that?

Side bar style width.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in the CSS. Create the table and apply the settings in the Properties of that table. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!  So, not only was I mistakenly doing this in the CSS. But I didn't know about the "Select Table" command, either. 

Thanks much, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get the table style width to work if you do the following:

1. Insert a table.

2. Switch to the General panel

3. Select Table

4. Click the Clear Formatting icon next to the "Type" field.

5. Apply your table style.

This works because Robohelp 2019 New UI hard codes inline widths for each inserted table (I don't know why). 

Freshly inserted table code:

<table border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" style="border-collapse:collapse; width:100%">
    <colgroup>
      <col style="width:100.00%" />
    </colgroup>
    <tbody>
      <tr>
        <td> </td>
      </tr>
    </tbody>
  </table>

After Clear Formatting:

<table border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1">
    <colgroup>
      <col/>
    </colgroup>
    <tbody>
      <tr>
        <td> </td>
      </tr>
    </tbody>
  </table>

(You might need to make sure "border-collapse: collapse" is defined for your table style, I haven't tried it out with a multicell table.)

EDIT: I forgot to add - but given you'll have to manually modify each table, you might as well just change the inline width as Peter advised, unless you're committed to clean code. 🙂  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Amber and Peter.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried all of your suggestions. And the RH preview shows I've done it properly (screenshot):

Side bar preview.PNG

However, the styling does not appear in the output -- no border, no shading (screenshot):

side bar not in output.PNG

Here's the code view (screenshot):

Side bar applied code view.PNG

Strangely, I wanted to show you my new table style, "side_bar," in code view. However, it doesn't appear in the code view list (screenshot):

Side bar style CSS code view.PNG

But here are the CSS settings of the table style "side_bar" (screenshot):

Side bar style CSS settings.PNG

Notice that the CSS preview looks fine, above.

Your thoughts?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you seem to want is a two column table with no rows and no visible borders, correct?

So you create a table using the toolbar icon that has just two columns and one row. It will have a simple black border.

Leave that while you are authoring as it's easier to see what you are doing.

When ready, Select > Table and set the border to transparent.

Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and you know where to try it first don't you? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's what I want (circled in this screenshot):

Side bar preview.jpg

And this image is from the preview after applying the table style. So, it seems I'm setting it up properly. But the styling does not appear in the output. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will be a table within a table, correct? The only way you are going to get that layout with two columns is a table. Well actually you can create columns, not table columns, that's described in About RoboHelp but I am not sure you can make them independant, I would need to check.

It's a bit more tricky as the second table will inherit CSS from the main table. Essentially though create that style away from where you want it, it's easier to define it alone. Set it up with the border and background colour in the CSS. forget columns and rows there. Then you create the table where you really want it, using the toolbar again, after which you apply the style you created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhhhh!! You're right, Peter, it is a table within a table.  I had misunderstood what I was doing. I had mistakenly thought I placed my new "side bar" below the existing table

I'll see if I can format the cell to create the "side bar" effect, with a cell border and shading.

Thank you for figuring out what the problem is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, will you please say a bit more about this?  You've recommended that I:

• Create that style away from where you want it. It's easier to define it alone.
  • Set it up with the border and background colour in the CSS. Forget columns and rows there.
  • Then you create the table where you really want it, using the toolbar again . . .
  • . . . after which you apply the style you created.

I'm not clear on the underscored parts.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll write up some notes in the morning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This goes back on what I suggested earlier but it should resolve your issue.

CREATING A TABLE STYLE

1. Open you CSS file in the CSS editor.
  2. Right click on Table Styles and select New.
  3. Enter a name in Class, ignore Pseudo Class.
  4. Go to the Border settings.
  5. Set the type of border (usually solid), the colour and the width.
  6. Not how the preview is showing those settings around the outside of the table only.
  7. Now do the same in the Cell settings. Note that the preview will show two lines between cells.
  8. Go to the General settings and select Border Collapse > Collapse.
  9. At the top of the Properties you will see that all the above settings have been applied to Whole Table.
  10. Use the dropdown to create row and column specific settings.
  11. When done, click Save.

USING THE STYLE

At this stage I suggest you create a folder and topic called Scratchpad or suchlike.

1. On a fresh line and not within another table, go to the toolbar and insert a table with the required number of rows and columns.
  2. In Properties > Styles select that table.

It should appear as you want. You can apply styles within the cells and I prefer that approach rather than defining text in the table editor.

TABLES WITHIN A TABLE

Within another table, the styles may go wrong through inheritance. Identify the value that is wrong and add !important.

For example, if the colour does not stick look at the CSS in source view, edit it as below.

From

border-color: #FF0000;

To

border-color: #FF0000 !important;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter.

In Step 10, you say, "Use the dropdown to create row and column specific settings."  Do you mean 

repeat #1 - #9 for all add'l rows & columns? Or create specific settings to create the effect I want in the specific row/column?

Also, under "Using the Style," Step 2 is "In Properties > Styles select that table."  Do you mean select the newly created table style?

You also say, "You can apply styles within the cells and I prefer that approach rather than defining text in the table editor."  What/where is the table editor? Is that just Select table > Properties > General tab?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever you choose in the dropdown is what you will get, so even rows will apply to rows 2,4, 6 etc.

Yes in your topic choose your new style.

You can edit the table template by going to the CSS editor. You can edit a specific instance in the topic properties.

Try it in the scratchpad. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! I'm delerious with excitement that this works. 🙂 

Peter, thank you so, so much for walking me through it. I don't really understand why it works. The counterintuitive part is:

• Why, when creating the table style for this, why add a border around the whole table? 
  • And does the "border collapse" step eliminate that border?

I'm not complaining. Far from it. My head is just kinda spinning from this whole thing. I almost gave up at several different points b/c it wasn't making sense in the moment. But, as they say, the proof is in the pudding:

side bar success.PNG 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why, when creating the table style for this, why add a border around the whole table? 

Just the way CSS defines tables.

And does the "border collapse" step eliminate that border?

No. See what happens to the preview when you select it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp