Highlighted

How to set width of table style (RH 2019, new UI)

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

I'm creating a table style to create a "side bar" format. (See screenshot, right-hand column, beneath the image.)

Side bar style.PNG

I'd like to set the width in the style to be narrower. But I don't want to use pixels, afraid that would forfeit the responsive properties of my skin (Oceanic).

How do I do this? 

Thank you!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peter Grainge | Adobe Community Professional

This goes back on what I suggested earlier but it should resolve your issue.

CREATING A TABLE STYLE

1. Open you CSS file in the CSS editor.
  2. Right click on Table Styles and select New.
  3. Enter a name in Class, ignore Pseudo Class.
  4. Go to the Border settings.
  5. Set the type of border (usually solid), the colour and the width.
  6. Not how the preview is showing those settings around the outside of the table only.
  7. Now do the same in the Cell settings. Note that the preview will show two lines between cells.
  8. Go to the General settings and select Border Collapse > Collapse.
  9. At the top of the Properties you will see that all the above settings have been applied to Whole Table.
  10. Use the dropdown to create row and column specific settings.
  11. When done, click Save.

USING THE STYLE

At this stage I suggest you create a folder and topic called Scratchpad or suchlike.

1. On a fresh line and not within another table, go to the toolbar and insert a table with the required number of rows and columns.
  2. In Properties > Styles select that table.

It should appear as you want. You can apply styles within the cells and I prefer that approach rather than defining text in the table editor.

TABLES WITHIN A TABLE

Within another table, the styles may go wrong through inheritance. Identify the value that is wrong and add !important.

For example, if the colour does not stick look at the CSS in source view, edit it as below.

From

border-color: #FF0000;

To

border-color: #FF0000 !important;

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to set width of table style (RH 2019, new UI)

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

I'm creating a table style to create a "side bar" format. (See screenshot, right-hand column, beneath the image.)

Side bar style.PNG

I'd like to set the width in the style to be narrower. But I don't want to use pixels, afraid that would forfeit the responsive properties of my skin (Oceanic).

How do I do this? 

Thank you!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peter Grainge | Adobe Community Professional

This goes back on what I suggested earlier but it should resolve your issue.

CREATING A TABLE STYLE

1. Open you CSS file in the CSS editor.
  2. Right click on Table Styles and select New.
  3. Enter a name in Class, ignore Pseudo Class.
  4. Go to the Border settings.
  5. Set the type of border (usually solid), the colour and the width.
  6. Not how the preview is showing those settings around the outside of the table only.
  7. Now do the same in the Cell settings. Note that the preview will show two lines between cells.
  8. Go to the General settings and select Border Collapse > Collapse.
  9. At the top of the Properties you will see that all the above settings have been applied to Whole Table.
  10. Use the dropdown to create row and column specific settings.
  11. When done, click Save.

USING THE STYLE

At this stage I suggest you create a folder and topic called Scratchpad or suchlike.

1. On a fresh line and not within another table, go to the toolbar and insert a table with the required number of rows and columns.
  2. In Properties > Styles select that table.

It should appear as you want. You can apply styles within the cells and I prefer that approach rather than defining text in the table editor.

TABLES WITHIN A TABLE

Within another table, the styles may go wrong through inheritance. Identify the value that is wrong and add !important.

For example, if the colour does not stick look at the CSS in source view, edit it as below.

From

border-color: #FF0000;

To

border-color: #FF0000 !important;

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Select Table and in the properties set the widths you want. I tend to use % values but you can use pixels. RoboHelp will adjust all the columns proportionally so you won't lose the responsiveness.

Where's that test project to try it out? 🙂

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yes, the test project!  I would've forgotten. 😞

Thanks much, Peter. That's awesome I can just use pixels. If I use % values, what's the concept -- is it a percentage of the whole page? Or of the existing column? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I thought I knew what I was doing . . .

When I set the "width" under the Layout tab (screenshot), it doesn't do what I want. I'm trying to narrow the width of the table. (It's a single-cell table.)  How do I do that?

Side bar style width.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in the CSS. Create the table and apply the settings in the Properties of that table. 

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!  So, not only was I mistakenly doing this in the CSS. But I didn't know about the "Select Table" command, either. 

Thanks much, Peter!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0