Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Existing Environment:

1. PC 1: RoboSource Control Server
    • Windows 7, 64-bit, SP1
    • Adobe TCS 3.5
      • RoboHelp HTML 9
      • RoboSource Control 3.1 (Server install)
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2005
  2. PC 2:  Client
    • Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit, SP1
    • Adobe TCS 3.5
      • RoboHelp HTML 9
      • RoboSource Control 3.1 (Client install)
  3. PC 3:  Client
    • Adobe TCS 3.5
      • RoboHelp HTML 9
  4. PC 4:  Client
    • Adobe TCS 3.5
      • RoboHelp HTML 9
  5. PC 5:  Client
    • Adobe TCS 3.5
      • RoboHelp HTML 9

We are upgrading from TCS 3.5 to TCS 4. In our existing TCS 3.5 environment, we have approximately 20 RoboHelp HTML 9 projects that are under version control. Our version control system is provided through RoboSource Control 3.1/Microsoft SQL Server 2005.

I have determined that RoboSource Control 3.1 is provided with TCS 4. Therefore, it doesn't appear that we need to worry about upgrading the version control databases or the RoboSource Control software (we had to upgrade both the version control software and the version control databases when we upgraded from RoboHelp x5 to TCS 3.5).

So, my primary question is this: After we run the TCS 4 install, what is the recommended process for opening our existing RoboHelp HTML 9 projects from the new RoboHelp HMTL 10? As I see it, there are three potential answers:

1. Delete all existing RoboHelp HTML 9 "working" folders for the projects, and use RoboHelp HTML 10 to recreate the "working" folders from the version control databases.
  2. Simply open the existing RoboHelp HTML 9 "working" folders for the projects using RoboHelp HTML 10.
  3. It doesn't matter; either of the two options above will work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm not really familiar with RCS, but for other source control systems I recommend the following:

1. Make sure that all your changes are checked in and that at least on pc has the latest version of all the files before updating TCS.

2. Run the update.

3. Now open the project on the pc that has the latest version of all files.

4. After update, check in the entire project.

5. Get the latest version on all pc's using the server. (Don't open the project in the client.)

- Mostly, I just remove the entire project from the pc's and use a GET to get updated project from the server.

I hope the RCS supports a get all from the server, if not, please ignore the above list.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the response.

I successfully upgraded all of our RoboHelp HTML 9 (TCS 3.5) projects to RoboHelp HTML 10 (TCS 4). I deleted all the working folders and then recreated them from the version control databases via RoboHelp HTML 10. I didn't need to delete the pre-update working folders, but I chose that route for a "cleaner" install/update process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp