• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML5 and 'Mark of the web'

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any plans to add a 'Mark of the web' option for Responsible HTML5? Without it, end users using Microsoft Internet Explorer must set a security option to 'Allow active content to run on My Computer.' I know alternatives are to use Chrome or host the Help system (or ask end user to set up a web server in which to host the Help system), but neither of these workarounds are options at the present time. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Unfortunately I'm not well versed in things enough to say whether MOTW is even relevant any longer. I've seen many cases lately where it seems to make no difference when viewing content.

However, you should consider reporting the desire for it to Adobe via the link below.

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so very much, Rick, for the rapid response. I'll follow your suggestion and pass this inquiry to the Adobe wish list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say the warning was showing how responsible the format it.

<ducks for cover>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to the index page of your output and edit it with notepad you can manually add the MOTW.  Mark up is shown below.

<!-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->

It is a time saving device for when you are not loading the content from a website.  When loading from a website the browser can see where it is coming from.  When running it off your local hard drive the browser cannot see a URL and blocks the content.  MOTW is placing an instruction into the web page telling the browser it is from the internet.  I have exactly the same issue when using other Authoring tools so use this when I want to test on IE.  Other browsers do not require this mark up. 

Regards

Dee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I stumbled over the same issue. @ deevincentday: thanks for your answer, this actually works for me. However, this line has apparently to be entered into all files, not just the index.htm. As I have more than two thousand files, this is a lot of work. Is there any new information whether this is supported by Robohelp for HTML5 output? I'm using Robohelp 2015. Couldn't find anything about this in the above named wish list. Any news on this topic will be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't know of any progress on this. I use it in adobe captivate. Other software I use has a check box that indicates I want it in all the files and it is added automatically.

Dee

Sent from my Windows Phone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. We now resolved this issue by adding the required line using "search and replace" for all htm-files in the respective folders.

Best regards,

Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update for anyone who is interested: the MOTW about:internet ONLY works for IE11. In MS Edge, the help can't be loaded with this entry. There, no MOTW must be entered. MS Edge is also able to display the help with the following MOTW: <!-- saved from url=(0016)http://localhost --> IE 11 will then also be able to display the help, but the search, index, and glossary won't work. The problem with the localhost MOTW is also true for Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting note about the mention of firefox. I've always understood MOTW to be specific and unique to Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, I thought so too. Seems like you are right also, but your comment made me search the cause of the problem elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could potentially try conditional comments to target IE only for the MotW. I haven't tried it myself, but it doesn't look too hard to try:

About conditional comments (Internet Explorer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your idea! We tried this already, however, unfortunately conditional comments are no longer supported for IE10 and upwards. So no luck there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, the cause of this erroneous behaviour seems not to be the MOTW, but an "&" character in a project-header (not the file-name, but the title in the TOC). I'll keep you up to date regarding our final findings which MOTW to use for IE11 and MS Edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again, now this is how it works: Use MOTW

<!-- saved from url=(0016)http://localhost -->

if you want to use the HTML5 Help with IE11 and MS Edge

Best regards
Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp