Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks in a Robohelp 11 project

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My project has all the topics linking from Word documents. It has a lot of folders like the figure. From one document I need to link it to another topic in the project.

I do that using "Insert Hyperlink...", but when I generate the HTML5 Layout it doesn't work.

Can you tell me Why?

Thanks a lot

Sara

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

While it's always helpful to have a screen capture to share, unfortunately we need more info on this.

For example, try double-clicking the hyperlink you are having problems with and capture the dialog that should result.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for answer.

This is the screen capture of the hyperlink.

In the folowing screen capture you can see the hyperlink, but when I generate HTML5 Layout it doesn't work.

Thanks, Bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question here.

After you generate and test where the link doesn't work, are you certain the topic you are linking to exists in the output?

Are you able to open it in any different way? For example, by searching or from the Table of Contents?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Yes, I am sure that the topic exist. I think that the problem could be that the document where I did the hyperlink is a "linking document". Does the Robohelp allow to do that?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, to my knowledge that is fine to create links.

One thing I'm noticing here is that the information appears to be in Spanish? As such, I'm curious about the topic you are linking to.

Especially curious if it has an accented character in the file name. If so, that could be a possible cause of the breaking. Can you show us the properties of the topic you are linking to?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I attach the properties screen capture :

I am sure I had taken off all the special characters from the file's name, not to the topic's name. Should I?

Bye, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge, topic title names can contain pretty much anything and aren't subject to the same limitations that the file names are.

One thing I'm questioning here is the use of spaces in the folder names. I believe that spaces are often a culprit with things like this. So that's one issue to consider.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.

I think I found where  the problem is. I did the hyperlink in a linking document from Word and, when I generate the HTML Layouit, the Robohelp ask the foloowing picture. And I answer YES, so the Word document update the linking document deleting the Hyperlink I did before.

I think it isn't a way to make Hyperlinks from word linking docuiments if I need to update them all the time. Can you confirm that?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again

I do believe that when you perform updates, the hyperlinks would be lost because the modified document information would effectively erase the information that was there. I do know that RoboHelp senses the different states of the document.

LinkVSCopy.PNG

Unfortunately, I don't believe RoboHelp has any way of flagging information that has changed within RoboHelp so it can be preserved.

My thought here is that you should perform updates, then re-create any links. Then generate but in the process ignore that message by clicking the No button.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp