Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I deleted a folder in a project and it keeps recreating it

Participant ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I deleted a folder in one of my projects, as it was not necessary anymore and was not containing anything useful, and when I open the project it keeps recreating it, and it tells me that I should delete it properly from the Project Manger.

I tried to do that, however there is no possibility to delete that folder from the Project Manger as the Delete option is not active as I make a right-click on it.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may appear that there is nothing in the folder, but it sounds like there is. Perhaps there is a baggage file, image or some other file in it. If you look in the Project Manager you may find the offending file there. Delete that and you'll be able to delete the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that there is actually anything inside the folder, but RoboHelp BELIEVES there is. (or should be)

The trick is to determine exactly what that is. And it may require some serious detective work to ferret it out. It could be an errant reference to an image, another topic, a baggage file, a CSS. Anything.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the folders and there is nothing that would be used in the project. Everywhere in the project there is no red squares indicating that the picture is missing. All the pictures that were in those two folders are right now in only one folder and I already did the reassignments of those pictures to this new folder everywhere in the project, so I do not see the reason it does not let me delete it and not to recreate it every time I am reopening the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say there is nothing that would be used but that could mean there is something there. If there is, what is it?

I think Rick will confirm that over the years every time someone has claimed that there is nothing in the project that requires a folder/file, eventually it is found there is a link. I would use a Search tool external to Rh and search through all the files, not just the htm files. It should be quite safe but perhaps do so in a copy in case the tool corrupts a file. I have not seen anything do that but prefer caution.

Text Crawler is a freebie that I have used to good effect.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This should be self-evident, but for our dear friend Justin... And additionally if anyone comes along later and finds this partial thread.

When you use the search tool, you would search the files for any reference to the actual folder name that RoboHelp is insisting upon re-creating.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for picking me up on that.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to solve the whole thing w/o the help of any search tool.

Just going to a picture the appears as broken in the Project Manger, do a double click on it, and in the Image Properties dialog there is the Used In tab.

In this tab one can find out where, in which topics is that picture used, and by clicking on the "pencil" button one can edit the topic and set the reference of the picture right.

The issue is however that after the folder appears as "empty" and can be deleted from the Project Manager, it happens sometimes that the folder will be still recreated as the project is reopened.

In that situation I had to redo the reference, though it was correct, however RoboHelp did not "get" that.

After several operations as those described above, I managed to delete the folder for good and not have it recreated at the opening of the project.

So, what I was doing was not "correct". I should have reassigned all the pictures properly to the new folder, and as the folder became "empty", delete it from the Project Manger and not from Windows Explorer.

It is a little bit weird, but I got it now.

Thank you everybody for all your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume the images were showing in Project Manager with a red X. When you said there were no red squares I think we assumed you had also checked for missing images in Project Manager. Sorry for making that assumption.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, in the Project Manager the images were shown with a red X (because I deleted them from the folder I wanted to get rid of, and transferred them into the unique pictures folder), and this is where I double clicked on the image to see where it was still that reference. In the topic I simply repaired the reference to the unique pictures folder, and the image with the red X disappeared. When I had no such pictures, I managed to delete the folder from the Project Manager.

However, for some of the pictures, some still remained with a red X and the folder where they were was recreated. Therefore I had to repeat the above process until the pictures, and the folder, did not appear anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp