• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm working in RH10 and when I try to preview a topic, I get a script error. How do I fix this?

Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview Topic Script Error.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any DHTML effects on the page? Or perhaps popups? They are known to cause this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do use dhtml effect, like expanding text, but and even the pages without it bring up the error. Today, I'm not even getting an error, it just does nothing. I select Preview Topic from the right-click menu and nothing happens, not even an error (even on pages with DHTML effects). Before the holidays I had no issues, but when I came back from vacation, these issues started happening. It's very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn’t the Preview rely upon your default browser and its security settings? I never really use the Preview because I know it’s not what the help is really going to look like in the finished product; I find it faster to just generate a draft copy & have a look at it then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Not sure about the default browser. The thing is that I changed nothing before these problems started. I usually just want a quick glimpse to verify formatting and the Preview is a quick way to do that. Our Help files are very large, so it takes a bit of time to generate it to take a quick look, but that is a workaround. I just hate when things don't work like they're supposed to. Hopefully we'll be getting an upgrade of our TCS suite and the new RH will fix the problem.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m surprised that with RH10 you haven’t already run into the recent browser security updates that suppress WebHelp from working. My suspicion is that you may not be aware that Windows did an update behind the scenes & that’s what’s changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look into it, thanks for the heads-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your preview window is missing, this video should help:

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the fix for DHTML effects issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps try clicking Tools > Update DHTML Effects In Topics?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, I'll try that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that didn't work...ugh. I still get the Script Error message. Oh well, I'm still waiting for our IT group to stop by to deal with web security issues, so maybe that'll help. Also, we'll be upgrading to the latest TCS in a week or two, so that should also fix my problem (I hope).

Preview Topic Script Error.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make sure you apply all the recent patches that have come out for browser issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That worked and I can now see my print preview, although the script error appears when I attempt to move the preview to another monitor. But, at least I can see it now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp