• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image path appearing as tooltip in the PDF documentation

Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I posted this issue a while ago, and I also offered the solution of populating the Screen tip of the image in the image's properties, however this is working for RH7, whereas for RH8 it does not matter what I enter in the Screen tip, it will still show the complete path of the image at the moment of creation of the PDF giving away some sensitive information. Not displaying the Screen tip specified in the image's properties is definitely a bug. Is there any remedy to  that. Basically I do not need any Screen tip for my pictures. Best would be to not display anything, however it seems impossible for the time being.

It does not matter if I generate the PDF directly as a layer in RH8 or I generate it from Word, the result is the same, and it is annoying.

I hope there is a remedy to that.

I use a Windows XP Pro 32 bit, and I installe all service packs from Adobe.

Thank you,

Bogdan

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

GLOBAL REPLACE has been in RH for some time, certainly it is in RH7.  It is not very user friendly because it does not automactically go to the path for the project you currently have opened (Are you listening Adobe?).  I am calling it GLOBAL REPLACE because it was called that at some point in RH history (I have been using many years now), but is not actually called that now.

Hre is how it works in RH9 (and I remember it working similarly, but maybe different name in RH7):

From main menu:  Select

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I understood that the image issue is still not solved with RoboHelp9.

Is the developing team going to announce the solving of the issue somehow, or should I just download the trial and see if it is solved or not?

Thank you,

Bogdan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is dealt with through a patch to RoboHelp 9, it will be in the release notes and I add those to Using RoboHelp 9 on my site.

If it is dealt with by a script I imagine that will be covered in the Adobe blog at http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I will watch your website as well as the blog.

On your website, is it going to be mentioned in "What's new"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reread my post. I have applied bold to help you and here's a link http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh9/using_rh9.htm.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Peter.

I will check it out.

Did I understand correctly? Is there already a patch to solve this problem, or not yet?

Bogdan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not yet fixed.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2011 Sep 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bogdan

Another problem caused me to wonder if there isn't a simple solution to this.

In both 8 and 9 if you enter a screentip its value gets written in RoboHelp 9 to the TITLE property in the Image tag.

In 9 the ALT property is given the same value but in 8 it is left blank and reads ALT=""

On generating the output Rajib indicated that  RoboHelp adds the path when the output is created IF the ALT value is blank.

I'm wondering if you could simply do a find and replace where the find is ALT="" and the replace is something like ALT="Image". In theory RoboHelp should find a value when generating and leave it alone and that is what you will get in your PDF. You could also add TITLE="Image" to the replace string.

I haven't tested this so do try it on a copy of your project.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2011 May 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...I just came across this post. I thought I would add my two cents on what worked for me. I was really annoyed when I hovered with my curser over a picture in a .pdf document I created in Word. So I googled the problem and came here. I couldn't find a "great" answer anywhere, so I experimented. There is an option when you are making the .pdf document that will get rid of the tooltip. In the save process, you will notice an "options" button to the right side of the save dialog box. Under that section, you will notice several options:

Create Bookmarks using Headings/Word bookmarks

Document Properties

Document structure tags for accessibility

...and 2 more options. You will want to deselect the "Document structure tags for accessibility" option. That will solve the problem (at least it did for me!) and there should be no revealing path tooltip.

Hope that helps!

~ MLRProductions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for the tip, however I already tried it.

The problem is that it removez all the nice goodies which enables a quick navigation through the document, especially the TOC.

Therefore it is not a solution for us. Adobe better solve this as they should.

They offered me version 8, and then 9 with the problem worse and worse, so...

I am still waiting. They did not contact me for a long time, so I guess that they forgot about the issue which might prove to be a severe security issue, however they saw it as a "desired feature". I wonder who in their right state of mind would think of that as a "desired feature". For what purpose?

Have a great day,

Bogdan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any more been found out about this? 

We recently upgraded from RH7 to RH9 (along with upgrading to Word 2007 and Acrobat X).  We were very startled and dismayed to see these so-called tooltips, which we just found out about today although we have been publishing PDF'd docs from RH9 for about 6 weeks now.  Showing this path (back to RH! and document draft names!) and image name is really not acceptable.  But before we attempt to implement the solution which is way up in the discussion here (and I am not sure I understand the steps yet), I wanted to see if any more information or solutions had been found. 

So...Boggym, if you are still out there, did the suggested steps actually work for you and is there anything you'd like to point out to someone following in your footsteps?

Thanks,

kb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kathyb999,

I just did not have the time yet to experiment what was suggested.

If you want my oppinion, it is a little bit too complicated for me to do all these changes to all our projects. Even for the project that I am working on right now, it is just too big to even begin doing any changes to this.

I am using the work around for that, i.e. I am entering something in the screen tip, however this has an effect on RH7, and no effect on RH8 or 9.

I hope that Adobe will come with a solution to this really quick, otherwise my company will be moving away from RoboHelp all together. We already began doing this, as no functional RH was offered till now.

I am still working, because of that, with RH7. We were doing chm's before and printed documentation (pdf), and because of the issues over the network with chm's we are only doing pdf, and RoboHelp is not helping too much, unfortunately. I was wondering if there are any ohter layers that would be as compact and nice as chm was before...

So, I am still waiting for a functional version of RoboHelp, still working with RH7, if it will come till we are not completely away from it. I still hope they will, however...

I am sorry I cannot offer you any good news.

Have a great day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone,

I'm using Acrobat Professional 8.3.1 and discovered this problem for the first time yesterday.  (Actually, one of my developers noticed it and said some unfavorable things.)  I'm creating PDFs from Word.

It sounds like there are three fixes:

- Killing all the hyperlinks in the PDF to turn off the alt text display.

- Upgrading to Acrobat Version 9 and installing all the updates .  (Can someone confirm this will fix it?)

- Do some programming in the PDF code to reset the alt text value.  (Gleeps; that's new turf for me.)

I don't know how to access image properties in PDF, though I'd be happy to change all the alt text values manually.  I notice if I save the screen capture and insert it into my Word document before generating the PDF, no alt text is displayed (but it will take a lot of time to recapture all the images in my documentation and save and insert them).  When I copy and paste the screen captures, the path is shown.

Is there a clear resolution to this or is Adobe still trying to respond?  (Please don't reiterate history; I've read all the posts.)  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also generating the PDF's from Word as I can do some more necessary formatting which I cannot do from Acrobat. I use Acrobat 10 and the problem is still there.

If you kill all the hyperlinks then you kill also the navigability of the PDF document, and I do not think it is worth it.

From what I understood, the problem "would be with Acrobat". See the previous comments from this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boggy,

That's clear but depressing news.  Guess I'll work with the programming staff here and see what they can fix "under the covers".  Since we're generating a lot of content in PDF, it also means we may need a new PDF solution.  Dang.

Thanks for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome!

I am dealing with this issue since RH7, and because I can work around it only in RH7 I stayed with it. Unfortunately, it does not work with RH8 or 9, though I was told at some point by the customer support from Adobe that the version 9 would have fixed it, whereas it made it worse.

Sorry to hear that you have these problems too.

We are now in the process of switching of smaller projects from RH to Word, and it is working well for us, as we do not have to do the same text formatting over and over, and from Word we generate PDFs. We use the "Save as" from Word and not the Acrobat add-on because it is faster.

Did you try to populate the screen tip for all the images with something like the title of the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boggy,

I just now figured out how to access image properties in WORD ... by right-clicking the image, choosing Format Picture (which I do for other tasks), and choosing Alt Text.  Woo hoo!  This works!  I clear the path from the Description field and click Close for each image.  PROBLEM GOES AWAY.  (I do realize that providing alternate text is an important accessibility feature; I just wish I could choose between adding helpful alternate text or turning off the feature; displaying the path is fairly obnoxious.)

So, two choices in Word:

- Save each image in a file and insert.  (For some reason, no alt text displays when converted to PDF.)

- "Format" each image and remove path from Alt Text settings.  (No alt text when converted to PDF.)

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!

I will try it too.

However, you have to do this thing for all the images in the project, in the Word documet, every time you generate the documentation, which added to the "normal" text formatting, it can add a considerable overhead to generate just one document, right?

We have a main huge project from which we generate 4 documentations, so doing this for each of them I do not think it would be acceptable by the company. The project has some 600 pages.

We moved from RH7 to RH8 once to see that we have to revert to RH7 (because of our common issue with the image tooltip), which implied a lot of work, so I do not see myself doing the tranzit from RH7 to 9, and to have to revert back to 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boggy,

If you can get Adobe to fix this, more power to you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understood from Peter, it was alreay escalated to their development team, and they are working on it.

I was the only one back then that was experiencing this issue, so they might have thought that it is not interesting, though I was pointing that it might be a "security issue".

However, if more users are experiencing this issue, and they find it troublesome, then perhaps they will move. You know, power lies in numbers, right?

I had enough problembs because I was insisting to use RH, however, as the situation is right now, i.e. no lucrative solutions in sight, we are moving away from RH.

The only thing that is keeping this big project in RH, and it is not already in Word, is the conditional flags functionality which is allowing to have "more projects" into one, however our developers are working on a solution so that we can migrate this last project also to Word.

We will see how thigs evolve, or devolve, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this problem is fixed in RoboHelp 10. Check it with the free trial on a non production machine.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, we fixed it within RH.  I used Global Replace for the whole project.  I replaced

alt=""

with:

alt="image"

The tooltip still appeared, but it only said "image" instead of the whole network path.  Which was satisfactory for our use.  The problem is, we have to do this every time we compile.  Not arduous work, but has to be remembered.

Good Luck!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH do you use?

In RH7 you can do that by going to the properties of each picture and enter something in the screen tip. It does not work in RH8 or RH9.

So you did those changes in the HTML code page, I guess, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here was the process and SW:

on a Windows 7 PC:

RH9 - edit the project as desired.  Use GLOBAL REPLACE (not just a single topic find/replace), replace 'alt=""' with 'alt="image"' and save.

Complile RH9 project and output to Word 2007

Use Word 2007 to edit formatting, etc. 

Save and use CREATE PDF function to convert to PDF (with Acrobat PRO X).

All my links within the PDF work including the TOC and linking within chapters (to bookmarks created using RH9).

As I said above, the tooltip does still appear, but it now says "image" --which is OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is GLOBAL REPLACE a RH9 function? It seems that it is not available on RH7.

Awesome!

Looks like a real solution and does not take too much time, as you said.

I will see if I can convince the higher-ups to go back to RH9, or at least 8.

I just wasted too much time to revert from 8 to 7 after we discovered the bug, so I am not sure they are willing to move to something that is not properly supported, and after so much fighting with Adobe to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GLOBAL REPLACE has been in RH for some time, certainly it is in RH7.  It is not very user friendly because it does not automactically go to the path for the project you currently have opened (Are you listening Adobe?).  I am calling it GLOBAL REPLACE because it was called that at some point in RH history (I have been using many years now), but is not actually called that now.

Hre is how it works in RH9 (and I remember it working similarly, but maybe different name in RH7):

From main menu:  Select EDIT > FIND AND REPLACE IN FILES

This opens a dialog where you fill in the FIND and REPLACE fields. 

Make sure NAMED field has *.htm.

Note in the WHERE field, you may need to BROWSE to the folder for the project you currently have open and also that INCLUDE SUBFOLDERS is checked. 

Click FIND, and more options will appear, at which point you can select to REPLACE ALL>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp