• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image path appearing as tooltip in the PDF documentation

Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I posted this issue a while ago, and I also offered the solution of populating the Screen tip of the image in the image's properties, however this is working for RH7, whereas for RH8 it does not matter what I enter in the Screen tip, it will still show the complete path of the image at the moment of creation of the PDF giving away some sensitive information. Not displaying the Screen tip specified in the image's properties is definitely a bug. Is there any remedy to  that. Basically I do not need any Screen tip for my pictures. Best would be to not display anything, however it seems impossible for the time being.

It does not matter if I generate the PDF directly as a layer in RH8 or I generate it from Word, the result is the same, and it is annoying.

I hope there is a remedy to that.

I use a Windows XP Pro 32 bit, and I installe all service packs from Adobe.

Thank you,

Bogdan

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

GLOBAL REPLACE has been in RH for some time, certainly it is in RH7.  It is not very user friendly because it does not automactically go to the path for the project you currently have opened (Are you listening Adobe?).  I am calling it GLOBAL REPLACE because it was called that at some point in RH history (I have been using many years now), but is not actually called that now.

Hre is how it works in RH9 (and I remember it working similarly, but maybe different name in RH7):

From main menu:  Select

Votes

Translate

Translate
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing like that in RH7, unfortunately. One can only open the Find/Replace dialog only as one has opened a topic and wants to find/replace something in that topic.

Probably there is something like that in RH8. I did not check it as I do not have it installed anywhere.

Thank you very much.

Anyways, if this is working as you say, I guess this would be the answer to my issue.

I tried in RH8 and RH9, after I was told by Adobe customer service that the issue was fixed (and it was not actually), to put something explicitely in the screen tip field, however it did not work at all.

I will see when I have some time, to reinstall a trial RH9 on a virtual machine, and try it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Boggym wrote:

There is nothing like that in RH7, unfortunately.

Au contraire!

RoboHelp 7 sports the very same Find and Replace. It's just opened from a different place in the application. In RoboHelp 9, you use Edit > Find and Replace in Files. In RoboHelp 7, you need to open the Toolbox pod (View > Pods > Toolbox) and the application is named "Multi-File Find and Replace".

Happy Replacing! Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!

I tried on an existing project and it works.

Thank you Rick!

The only thing is that solution came a little bit too late. Mostly of our projects are migrated already to Word.

It is only one project that I am working personnaly on it that is still in RH7.

If I manage to get some nice answers regarding the Air help, I might keep RH alive in our company.

Have a great one Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boggym wrote:

...Mostly of our projects are migrated already to Word...

Hello again

Ummm, you mean you totally work in Word to do things? Then what? No on-line help? Is everything print?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, yes. We used before the chm types of help whic unfortunately does not work in a network environment.

We tried afterwards the flash layer which is nice, however very slow and it cannot be used by companies that are a higher level of security, i.e. no Internet access.

I also tried the Air, however what was generated was rather big to be included in the setup, and it needs access to the Internet which makes it for some of our clients unusable.

And so, we remained only with the printed documentation which is, I have to say usable by all our clients.

Because we were having the issues with the screen tip and we could not get any acceptable solution till now, we had to stay with RH7 which was offering a work around, so we purchased the RH8 for nothing. We could not use it at all. I had to revert all projects to RH7. Some more time wasted. Also the help desk did not want to accept that this is a bug for a long time and did not want to help us regarding the RH8 of which we do not have any use.

Because of that, RoboHelp is not offering us for the time being (I mean RH7) any advantage compared to Word.

Also I can say that it saves us some headackes due to the formatting that has to be done afterwards which is swallowing a lot of time.

I would like to stay with RoboHelp because I like some of its features and I liked very much the Air help it can generate, however it looks that the odds are against it, so I am out of arguments in favour of RoboHelp.

I am so sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Boggym wrote:

Unfortunately, yes. We used before the chm types of help whic unfortunately does not work in a network environment.

Yep, CHMs certainly aren't a choice for network deployment.

We tried afterwards the flash layer which is nice, however very slow and it cannot be used by companies that are a higher level of security, i.e. no Internet access.

I'm not sure what you mean with this. Are you referring to FlashHelp? Also not sure about your mentiion of internet access. Earlier you mentioned CHM and network, so I was sort of assuming you meant you wanted to install a CHM in a network location and run it from there. You can do this with FlashHelp and it should work fine.

I also tried the Air, however what was generated was rather big to be included in the setup, and it needs access to the Internet which makes it for some of our clients unusable.

Again unsure about the mention of needing internet access. AIR should also work fine in a typical network setup.

And so, we remained only with the printed documentation which is, I have to say usable by all our clients.

Sorry, can't resist a bit of humor here. Yep, when the car runs out of gas, the horse and buggy work just dandy! (as long as you still have a horse, of course) But I do understand the need for a workable solution.

Because we were having the issues with the screen tip and we could not get any acceptable solution till now, we had to stay with RH7 which was offering a work around, so we purchased the RH8 for nothing.

I'm not sure you got "nothing". I'm holding back on a suggestion until the end of this reply.

We could not use it at all. I had to revert all projects to RH7. Some more time wasted. Also the help desk did not want to accept that this is a bug for a long time and did not want to help us regarding the RH8 of which we do not have any use.

Indeed RoboHelp 8 does change the playing field and caused many authors headaches. That's unfortunate but it happened. And the funny thing is that it happened BECAUSE many authors were screaming for "more compliancy" with the way code is handled. So folks screamed, Adobe listened and implemented, then they screamed in a different way because they got what they screamed so loudly for.

Because of that, RoboHelp is not offering us for the time being (I mean RH7) any advantage compared to Word.

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. RoboHelp is light years and a quantum leap from Word. But that's just the way I view it.

Also I can say that it saves us some headackes due to the formatting that has to be done afterwards which is swallowing a lot of time.

I would like to stay with RoboHelp because I like some of its features and I liked very much the Air help it can generate, however it looks that the odds are against it, so I am out of arguments in favour of RoboHelp.

I am so sorry about that.

No need to be sorry. If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work.

I can't help but note that you said CHM, you said FlashHelp and you said AIRHelp. I'm not seeing any mention any mention anywhere of WebHelp. Based on what I see, I get the impression that WebHelp wasn't even considered. Was it? If not, why not? It may offer exactly what you need.

You also mention "connecting to the Internet" in a few places. So I'm confused. Are you under the impression that FlashHelp, WebHelp and AIRHelp must be accessed from a web server via the Internet?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2011 Nov 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Sorry that I was not able to respond to you till now, however things are a little bit hectic here, so I am trying now to reply to your questions.

Regarding the WebHelp, I did try it, however the look was not so nice as was the one of the FlashHelp. Also it would be a bit of a problem to distribute all the files that are generated. I see the WebHelp better to be installed on a server or to be accessed via the Internet, and I already told you about the issues most of our customers have with the Internet access.

Regarding the features of Word in comparison with RoboHelp7, for the time being just to generate printed documentation, Word is much better as one does not need to reformat over and over. It is once formatted and then, perhaps again when additions are done to the document, right? RoboHelp7 does not offer any pre-formatting possibilities, therefore I generate first to Word, format the document accordingly so that it is readable, and then from Word save as pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your other emails that I do not see here, I am confused by what you are using RH for.  We use RH for "single-source authoring."  Here is what we do:

We update the RH Project with the desired info.

We compile and output to CHM.  We supply the CHMs to Software Integration.  They put the CHMs in the SW build so that when the user selects to open HELP, the CHMs open.  The CHMs support both Chapter Help and dialog-level help (although the latter is problematic for us for other reasons).  There is NO NEED to be connected to the Internet to use this HELP because the HELP is embedded with the GUI.  Indeed, most of our customers do not have access to the Internet when running the GUI.  But the develpers are the ones who put the CHMs in the SW build, not us. 

We also compile and output to Word, format and convert to PDF for printed documentation.  The PDFs are also supplied with the SW on the CD as well as used for print, emailed when needed, etc.  The lovely thing about RH is the ease of cross-referencing/making links and the fact that these links can carry thru to the PDF. 

Because we are supporting multiple OEMs and, more importantly, various SW releases on the same trunk, we also use the Conditional Text feature, probably more than anyone would imagine (we have run out of Conditional Text items before).  I understand that Frame also supports Conditional Text, but I have not used Frame.  We take screenshots of the compilation dialog's Definitions page (which is not quite big enough to display them all in one screenshot), to document how the document was compiled in the Revision Log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just returned from an extended holiday to find this thread has been active again. Thanks Kathyb999 for confirming that the method I suggested works and is as simple as using a global find and replace.

The problem has been reported but the more of you who submit a bug report, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I followed your suggestion and link - thanks! 

It also occurs to me that it makes no sense for Microsoft Word to store the path information in the Description field of the Alt Text area.  If Word didn't do that, Acrobat Pro wouldn't assume there's useful information in there and display it as a tooltip.

I wonder what purpose is served by having Word store this information in the Alt Text area?  (RIght click the image, choose Format Picture, click Alt Text.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome back Peter,

I checked the solution offered by KathyB999 and it worked in RoboHelp7. I was about to test it on RoboHelp8 and I found out that when one is filling into the field Screen tip something, in the HTML code instead of this something to go into alt="something", it goes into title="something" which did not happen in RoboHelp7. I did not check what is happening in RoboHelp9.

So if one has a RoboHelp7 project and imports it into RoboHelp8, whatever is in the alt it will be taken over properly, however if there is a new image to be added, and one is trying to fill in the Screen tip field, nothing happens because it goes into the wrong spot, it goes into title.

So, somehow, another bug appeared in RoboHelp8.

Regarding the reply of RochesterTechWriter, I do not think that Word is entering the image path into the document, because if one is generating a pdf directly from the project, the same thing happens, and Word has no possibility to change anything. This is how I see it.

Have a great one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boggy,

Word may not be entering the image path into your documents, but it's definitely adding it to mine.  I work in Word, I copy and paste the image into Word, I right-click the image and choose Format Picture - Alt Text and there's the path.  That's where Acrobat is getting it in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RochesterTechWriter,

If you check the box Generate Adobe PDF in the dialog for generating the printed documentation, and then generate, you will get an unformatted PDF document, and you can see in this document, where Word has no influence whatsoever, that the path is set as tooltip if you leave the alt field empty.

We tried both ways thinking that Word would be the one responsible for that.

Also, if you check the discussion's history you will see that Peter is saying in one of the responses that Acrobat is responsible for that.

Have a great day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word does have an influence even when you generate a PDF only. RoboHelp does that by creating a Word document in the background and then creates the PDF. The background Word document is then trashed.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not know that.

Then it could be that Word is by mistake taking the src field as tooltip, though when one hovers over an image in Word nothing is appearing as tooltip.

Anyway, I checked in RoboHelp8 and it is as I presumed: when the Screen tip is being populated, the HTML code generator in the background is populating the title fild by mistake instead of the alt.

Peter, can I ask you something about Air on the Air forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, can I ask you something about Air on the Air forum?

Can I stop you?

Ask away and I will look at it but not until tomorrow now.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 25, 2011 Nov 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

You told me that one can insert page breaks for the printed documentation, right?

Was it in RH8 or 9? I do not quite remember.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2011 Nov 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are thinking of the RH9 feature that allows you to insert page breaks in the OLH so that the page breaks there if the topic is printed. Those breaks also apply to any printed documentation you create.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this problem been resolved? I cannot figure out after searching and searching for a resolution. I hover over an image in Acrobat Pro and it still shows the image file name and path. How do I remove this?! I've been through every step on this thread, removed all links, added my own. Still hovering over the image remains with original file path and image name. How do I remove? Please help, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RoboHelp are you using?

As above your post, I believe it was fixed in RoboHelp 10. If this is an issue not related to RoboHelp, you need to ask in an Acrobat forum.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, sorry, will do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, i don't know if somebody still follows this thread but i found an easy fix.

If you are using Microsoft Word files and used "Save As" to convert into PDF, the solution is to go to the "Options" (on Save-As PDF window), deselect the "Document structure tags for accessibility" option. After the file converted into PDF and you hover on the images, you won't see the floating file path anymore. Instead if you embedded some hyperlinks in the image, hovering on the images will show the link now even though the original Screen Tip you embed in the images don't show along with the hyperlinks.

Hope this helps.

Arsya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp