• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In a helpset with multiple chms, how do you make the master toc appear in all child chms?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 11. The software product I'm documenting is modular so the help is also divided into many chms (requirement). One of the other requirements is that the TOC from the master project appear, no matter which which chm contains the link called by the software. I've done this with merged WebHelp (kudos to Peter Grainge), however I haven't been successful doing it for HTML help using RoboHelp. Has anyone attempted this successfully? Any tips would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

This requires you to make the following changes:

1. In each of the projects, open the window being used to display the CHM. Click Advanced Properties and enter the file name of the master project's TOC in the "Table of Contents" field.
  2. Having compiled all the files, open up the Master project's .HHP file in Notepad. Look for the [MERGEDFILES] section. This should have a list of all the CHMs that make up the final deliverable. It has been some time since I've used CHMs, so I can't remember if you have

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This requires you to make the following changes:

1. In each of the projects, open the window being used to display the CHM. Click Advanced Properties and enter the file name of the master project's TOC in the "Table of Contents" field.
  2. Having compiled all the files, open up the Master project's .HHP file in Notepad. Look for the [MERGEDFILES] section. This should have a list of all the CHMs that make up the final deliverable. It has been some time since I've used CHMs, so I can't remember if you have to do this in all the projects. Try it in the master project first and you'll find out if you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RoboColumn

I'm a bit puzzled about the mechanics of step 1 . Do you mean "Advanced Settings" in the options page? If so, there doesn't seem to an option to specify a different TOC (just its appearance) . I suspect that I could edit the chm itself in HTML Help Studio but that would be a one-time post-processing operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did a bit more playing with this. I see what you you meant...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp