• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Information in which projects topics are used available?

Participant ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm wondering, if anyone of you knows where I can see, in which projects a certain topic is used? I searched the available reports, but with no luck.

What I want to know exactly is the following:

I have several "general" projects like "Install", "Configuration", "Views". Then I use some topics from each of these projects in other projects (via the Resource Manager; the topics are linked and keep updated). In the combined projects, I see which topics origin from somewhere else (this is indicated by a green check mark). I can even see, where this topic origins from via the file properties - path.

I'm looking for an option to see in the source project, if a topic is used somewhere else and if yes, where. This would be very helpful, if I need to rework such a file or just want to delete is.

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards
Karin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say but I think the answer is a feature request.

Please follow this link. You can use the link to report bugs and request new features.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm

The only solution I can think of meantime is a search for the image name as that would return anywhere on your PC the file is used. File Explorer would do it and there are some third party tools that are quicker. I use the freeware program Ultrasearch. If you download the zipped file, you can expand it to a thumb drive and run it from there without any installation.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Peter. I created a feature request.

Just for information, the link to do so has changed. It is now: https://tracker.adobe.com/

Best regards
Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for correcting the link.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thinking out loud on this a bit. Do the topics in question reside in the Resource Manager pod? I would think that some common location would be needed in order to fashion any kind of report on things like this.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Yes, the topics are in the Resource Manager Pod. They are also stored in a more or less common location (C:\Documentation\Work\Project[xyz])

I drafted how it looks like

Bild1.png

In "Project X", I can see which topics are taken from another project and from which one. I'm looking for the information in "Install", that "File 1" is also used in "Project X".

Best regards
Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I clarify that Install Project X is a different project to Config Project X as both are shown under Project Manager which would be separate for each project?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not having been clear. "Install Project X" and "Config Project X" are actually just folders in "Project X" containing files from the other projects ("Config" and "Install") in the Resource Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, just to see if I'm understanding this correctly. I personally just finished logging this bug with Adobe:

Click here to view

Here is the gist of what I reported:

Identifying projects using common Resource Manager assets

Problem Description:

When using the Resource Manager pod and sharing assets between two or more different projects, there emerges a need to identify all the different projects that are using the assets.

Steps to Reproduce:

Add an asset to the Resource Manager. Open a different project and use the asset so it now exists in more than one project. Then update the asset so it needs to be changed in all projects using the asset.

Actual Result:

The help author simply has to maintain some external list that can be referenced or just  remember the projects  so all the affected projects can be opened, update the asset, then recompiled or regenerated.

Hopefully I got that right.

As for your diagram, I've amended it slightly:

tmp2.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

Thank you I already posted a feature request a couple of days before, but with a sligthly different requirement (https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-300). My initial idea was to see in my "Install" project (which is the source), that file 1 is also used in "Project X", "Project Y", etc. However, to see this information for all parts of the Resource Manager from anywhere inside the Resource Manager is also a nice idea.

Your amendment to the image isn't quite correct as for my initial description. All projects are stored under C:\RH\MyProjects, so even the one I'm editing right now (in the image "Project X") will be displayed in the Resource Manager, because there all content of the folder C:\RH\MyProjects is displayed. That's what I tried to show. Your amendment looks to me to be a mock up of the to-be solution?

Kind regards
Karin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp