Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible in Responsive HTML5 to get the topics automatically numbered

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Would it be possible to have in a Responsive HTML5 output all topics numbered automatically like:

and so on? Something like in DITA, w/o needing to do this manually every time the chapter order is changed?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Sorry, nope – RH comes out of an online help publishing paradigm whereas FM comes from book publishing – you’re more likely to find numbering in books than online. FM does it with series labels that have building block variables that increment automatically so you can maintain numbering of things like headings, chapters, illustrations or figures (e.g. See Fig. 22 on page 426 in Chapter 14) in their captions and references to them. If you rearrange the material, an update recalcs all the series l

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to how the TOC appears? If so, I don't believe that's an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Captiv8r,

No, actually I would like to have all topics have a number according to their order and their depth, and I was wondering if it would be an option to have that when generating Responsive HTML5 output.

Till now I did it manually, and when I have to move chapters around is really funny, so I was wondering if the system could do that for me.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are referring to the actual topic names. Right?

Assuming that's the case, you can do it but it will be all a manual process where you totally name the topics according to what you want to see. Then you would have to update any TOC accordingly.

The only way I could see this being any kind of "automatic" sort of thing would be if you were to just create a Microsoft Word document that had this numbering as part of a Heading 1 or something. Then sucked it into RoboHelp either by Importing or Linking. At that point it would just flow in.

I'm not a Framemaker user but it *MAY* be possible to achieve using Frame. Hopefully Jeff_Coatsworth​ or another Frame knowledgable person will pop in to advise on that one.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bet Rick - that's one of FM's strengths - auto-numbering series of things in long docs. Updating them first in the FM book & then sucking them over to RH (or just outputting directly from FM) sets them up in the RH topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with FM, just with RH.

So, RH does not have something like DITA where the topics are unnumbered, and the system, at output time, adds the numbers according to the position in TOC?

Till now I was doing that manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, nope – RH comes out of an online help publishing paradigm whereas FM comes from book publishing – you’re more likely to find numbering in books than online. FM does it with series labels that have building block variables that increment automatically so you can maintain numbering of things like headings, chapters, illustrations or figures (e.g. See Fig. 22 on page 426 in Chapter 14) in their captions and references to them. If you rearrange the material, an update recalcs all the series labels and references for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I understand.

I was afraid that this is the situation, however I was still hoping that there might be something.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp