Highlighted

Is it possible to copy or rebuild an index if my topics have no keywords

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ther person before me was not able to provide the Project file that was used to generate the current published output.  So, I had our Admin copy the published Robohelp files and send them to me.  I have built a new project using all of these files; however, none of the htm files have any keywords associated, and therefore I don't have an Index.  So, I'm wondering if it's possible to somehow rebuild the Index using some sort of Auto Indexing Wizard? 
I should also mention that I also have an old Project file that has a complete Index; however, 100's of image links are referencing some placeholder image file and not the correct images.
So, I think my choices are to either a) rebuild the Index somehow using the files that have correct image links, or b) somehow update all of the image links in the Project that has an Index.
Help!
FYI - I'm using Robohelp 2019, but the Project files were created using Robohelp 9. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is it possible to copy or rebuild an index if my topics have no keywords

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ther person before me was not able to provide the Project file that was used to generate the current published output.  So, I had our Admin copy the published Robohelp files and send them to me.  I have built a new project using all of these files; however, none of the htm files have any keywords associated, and therefore I don't have an Index.  So, I'm wondering if it's possible to somehow rebuild the Index using some sort of Auto Indexing Wizard? 
I should also mention that I also have an old Project file that has a complete Index; however, 100's of image links are referencing some placeholder image file and not the correct images.
So, I think my choices are to either a) rebuild the Index somehow using the files that have correct image links, or b) somehow update all of the image links in the Project that has an Index.
Help!
FYI - I'm using Robohelp 2019, but the Project files were created using Robohelp 9. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create the RH project out of the output? I hope you followed Peter's "Reverse Engineering" guide...http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/reverse_engineering/reverse_engineering.htm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In projects created in RoboHelp 9 the index terms were typically not in the topic files.

You say you are using RoboHelp 2019. Classic or New UI?

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a paid for script available from www.helpessentials.com but I don't know if it works on versions as far back as RoboHelp 9. Check with them first. That I believe can recover the index.

Also Classic has an autocreate script option but only you can tell how good it is.

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple things.  I'm using Robohelp 2019 (new UI).  I topok a look at the Reverse Engineering site, but it points me to a website (Rick Stone's Robowizard site) that's no longer active.  And I doubt my organization will shell out the money for a paid option.  So, I'm really hoping I can figure this out.
As I said before, I have the output currently published on the server.  I created a new project file and imported all of the htm files.  All of my dropspots and expandspots weren't working, so I manually edited each one (hundreds) to just display the images.  I am able to generate the output and publish to our server, and everything looks great.  It all works...except the Index, for which there is none.  I looked in the headers of some htm files, and the Index keywords are not listed.

However, I have an old project file that has Index keywords present...but most of the image links are invalid.

So I have topics with Index keywords but invalid image links.  Or topics with valid image links but no Indexing.  I really hope I don't have to manually copy the index code snippets from all of the topics to the topics in my working project.  There are over 600.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will contact Rick to see if he can let me have his instructions.  I will also ask Help Essentials if the script does recover the index. If it does it would be to a Classic project but that can then be upgraded.

In RoboHelp 9 which was used to generate the project the keywords ended up in multiple wh files in the output and I don't believe there is any way to recover them yourself.

I'm surprised the output files are working. I would expect the source files you have to show lots of scripts in them which in Classic would have shown as red squares. I would import those files into a Classic project as well and then compare things like that in the two projects.

Without the script, if that does do what is needed, I fear your index is lost. All you have is the terms but with references that 2019 New UI would not understand as the structure is different.

Another thing you have to consider is the original source project may have had content that was tagged out of the build you have now imported. That is obviously now lost unless the old project helps to confirm that one way or the other.

Hmm. As I wrote that it occurred to me that one last resort would be to upgrade that old project and see if it gives you an index that looks close. If it does, it will be in an IDX file but before you copy it across. back up what you have done in case it makes things worse.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines