• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to develop a Tooltip based help or Popup based help using RoboHelp (Web-based or Responsive)?

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it possible to develop a Tooltip based help or Popup based help using RoboHelp (Web-based or Responsive)?

To my knowledge, a tooltip can be written in the Product Web Application Code.

My company is looking for a Tooltip based help that can be achieved using RoboHelp (Web-based or Responsive), where the developer's help is initially needed and any further update in the documentation must be taken care by the Technical Writer within RoboHelp.

Thanks and Regards,

Sreelakshmi P

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

I suppose it could be done in RH by treating each tooltip popup as a separate topic with a mapid attached, then invoke it from the application via a context sensitive help call, but sizing the popup and maintaining the content might prove challenging.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose it could be done in RH by treating each tooltip popup as a separate topic with a mapid attached, then invoke it from the application via a context sensitive help call, but sizing the popup and maintaining the content might prove challenging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff.

Please let me know if you have come across any web application with similar kind of pop-up help or web application with tool tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, in RoboHelp if you create something called a "text-only popup", and generate WebHelp, that's exactly what happens. The WebHelp generation process creates a separate HTML page that is used to present the popup. That's one of the reasons there are a swarm of output files created.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick - I had never heard of that before so I just played around with it - I don't think that's what the OP is looking for (I could be wrong) - you have to have some text present in the topic to create the text-only pop up. I think the pop up action is already present within the application screen, so launching a topic that just had placeholder text on it for you then to click on to reveal the actual help content would be a bit kludgy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff and Rick.

I am aware of the pop-up text that can be provided for a WebHelp. I was looking for Tooltip based help or Popup based help using RoboHelp that can be embedded within the Product Web Application.

Also, may I know if this kind of help can be created using the feature "What's This" in RoboHelp. As per what I have read and understood, I guess "What's This" in RoboHelp is much suited for the .EXE based application (Installable Application). The product in my company is a Web Application. Please provide me your suggestions on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that "What's This?" help is really old stuff - WinHelp & CHMs. As I suggested before, you would just treat each bit of CSH content you wanted to have appear as separate topics & then either launch the topic via a MapID call or from a direct URL call. Your developer would decide how they wanted to launch the help topic associated with each spot in your web app so that it appeared in a popup or in a new tab or new window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Jeff. Will definitely try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp