• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Responsive HTML5 WCAG compliant in RoboHelp Classic 2019?

New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am trying to create an online help using RoboHelp Classic 2019, but my output needs to be WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) compliant at the AA level.

I saw that Azure Blue, Charcoal Grey and Ocean layouts are 508 compliant, but I need them to be WCAG compliant... So, I was wondering if there is anybody who has managed to have their Responsive HTML5 output (or at least WebHelp) WCAG compliant (AA level)? Would appreciate some tips on how to ensure that compliance. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum. 🙂

I don't have any experience in either standard, but I found a page that compares the two, which might help you determine if 508 is acceptible. I'm not sure which version of wcag it's using but I figure it's at least a start.

https://jimthatcher.com/sidebyside.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amebr,

Thanks for welcoming me and also for looking into this. I'm quite new into both RoboHelp and WCAG compliance, so anything is a good start! 🙂  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anda1. Good luck with that project, especially since it seems WCAG-compliance is an even bigger job than 508-compliance.

508-compliance is something I'm part way through improving for our WebHelp, but it's an ongoing project alongside ongoing development of the same help. Comments about my experience so far:

1. As an initial experiment a year or so ago, I tried selecting the 508-compliance option when generating WebHelp in RH2015. The resulting Table of Contents was probably 508-compliant but was a huge step backwards in usability for other users.
  2. I chose to upgrade to RH2019, especially because of the avowed 508-compliance of the Charcoal-Grey skin.
  3. Using a third-party testing tool, QA's initial testing has brought up a few issues where the skin does't seem to be compliant. I haven't asked about it here (let alone reported anything as a bug) yet because I want to get a lot further first. Why?
  4. Because the main thing is that it's up to us as the help authors to ensure the content of every topic is compliant.
  • Many things are obvious and standard practice, like images having alt tags.
  • But others cbecome obvious only once you learn about them.
  • For example, headings have to be structural: the first heading has to be an h1, and the next one has to be an h2 not an h3.

That's enough rambling from me. Good luck with your project. I strongly recommend you find an appropriate testing tool. Therec are a number out there for 508-compliance so presumably there are for WCAG-compliance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NickShears,

Thanks for sharing your experience so far with 508 compliance, it's really helpful!

So I get from you that Charcoal Grey skin is not entirely 508 compliant, after all... And I am assuming then it's not WCAG compliant either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some information in the RoboHelp Tour if you search for 508. I can't promise the stuff about older versions is still true but what is said about 2019 New UI is, to the best of my knowledge, correct. I was advised that as supplied everything is 508 compliant but what you do in topics is your responsibility. Please don't shoot the messenger if that's not the case. 

Any shortcomings should be reported asap so that they can be taken into account as updates progress.

Please follow this link to report bugs. https://tracker.adobe.com

Post the link to your bug report in this thread and others can vote for it. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, the reason I've not yet logged what appear io be at least one or two 508-compliance bugs in the Charcioal Grey skin is that I want to complete more tests and make the steps easy to replicate, but right now Ive bigger things on my plate.
I'll log the bug(s) when I can and link to them here to encourage others to vote for them.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anda1, the one thing I'll be trying to look at in more detail when I eventually get back to this work is this error. It's related to the navigation in the Table of Contents, so is unrelated to the content of the topics themslves:

"Aria label and role mising for left side menu bar links."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Everyone,

I think you may find the following link helpful

https://www.adobe.com/accessibility/compliance.html

This has details on 508 compliance from output perspective across RH 2019 Classic or RH2017 and also new Re-imagined RoboHelp. We are further working to improve these compliances.

Thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp