• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Robohelp 2019 a finished product?

Participant ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed it and upgraded one of our Online Help projects. It crashes when I try to do pretty much anything. Often when I click on something or select something from a menu, nothing happens. I rename things and the name doesn't change... Is it just me? I can't imagine it's in a usable state for many people like this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

It's not finished in the sense that some of the functionality is not there yet. That is covered in the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project and on my site. However, the level of crashing you are seeing is not what others are reporting.

Are you seeing the same issues if you open the sample projects?

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not finished in the sense that some of the functionality is not there yet. That is covered in the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project and on my site. However, the level of crashing you are seeing is not what others are reporting.

Are you seeing the same issues if you open the sample projects?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't opened any sample projects. I was just trying to see if RH 2019 was an option for us at this time. I looked at your website. I appreciate the overview and I'm shocked by what has been left out. There's no way we can use this new version. Maybe not ever. I think Adobe is harming their brand by releasing an unfinished product. It's a considerable downgrade from RH 2017 based on what is missing.

I also found that the upgrade feature has defects. The css files it copied from the original project were empty and so none of the styles carried over. When I manually copied the files over, some of the styles did not look right. Our projects depend on expressions in dynamic content filtering, which is not supported. The Application Error window pops up a lot. It seems to have problems when you use numbers in names (such as Output names). I don't see a topic list window, which we use a lot. How do you apply changes to multiple files at once? We also used scripts... etc etc. This new version is just mind boggling. You would expect a new version to at least have all of the features that the previous version had. Our projects are quite large and complex. It seems like RH 2019 can't handle anything beyond very basic configurations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you apply Update 2 before doing anything? Try that and update again.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I started running into problems I grabbed the latest update and then rebooted and reconverted my project. It didn't seem to help at all. Even without the bugs it's missing too many features. I would call it a demo instead of a Release Candidate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH are you upgrading from? I found that if I tried to upgrade Peter's merge samples from RH9 and RH10 directly to RH2019 (New), they didn't upgrade correctly, but using projects RH11 or above were adequate. If you are on RH 10, you could open the project in RH2019 Classic (basically a patched up RH2017) and then upgrade that version to RH2019 (New).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're using Robohelp 2017...

Is there a list of all of the changes made to Robohelp Classic from Robohelp 2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I have seen.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they're not so much "crashes" as admonitions to restart the program — quite often.

Also, it won't generate PDF output for the project I'm doing (from scratch, using Robohelp 2019).

Reordering folders in the TOC is not easy.  It wants to open up every single folder as I'm dragging/repositioning the folder I want to reposition.  Sometimes it gets "stuck" and my folder ends up inside another folder.  Then I manually have to go looking for the darn thing.

But, these are early days in the new concept, so one can expect this kind of thing.

Also, getting Help on Robohelp 2019 is not easy.  I sometimes end up in the Help files for Indesign, or Photoshop.  A dedicated Help page just for Robohelp 2019 would be nice.  The search box on the Robohelp 2019 Help page beckons me to "Search Adobe Support".  I don't want to search Adobe Support,  I want to search through Robohelp 2019 Help only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got caught by the help too if that's any consolation. The trick is to do your search and then look roughly bottom right. You can search RoboHelp there and once you have done that, it should be there as an option next time.

My own view is it should search RoboHelp first and give the option to look wider if that doesn't help.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to add that there's quite a bit of useful information in the RoboHelp Reimagined sample project that ships with 2019.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve always wondered about putting Help files on the Web.  Always found it annoying.

Help (for any application) is something we never really like to use in the first place. So, if we are forced to use it, why not build it into the application — where it is quicker, and where one is not sidetracked by web links scattered everywhere?

Split-second quickness is more important than some may think, from a UX perspective.

Dealing with bandwith, notifications, ads, links and other things is, to excuse the term, annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe it's about continual updating. Built in requires you to download such updates and lots more traffic generally. I seem to recall there did use to be a local version and an online version (airplane help). Whilst the local version could get stale, it was a useful start.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I’m being asked to kindly indicate that my question in this Forum has been “Answered”.  Well, there is no “Answered” button.

One of those days. 

Maybe it’s the “Helpful” button I need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that you are signed in. That's the usual reason.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp