• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a memory leak in the Index field?

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH 2019 New UI, if I try to add an index entry to a topic, it can take a couple of minutes for the field to become responsive. I can literally click in the field, type my entry, go fix a cup of coffee, come back, and then watch the letters appear in the field.  At first, i thought RH had died again, but I later learned that it was just very slow.

-- and now I got another of the Application died, click Help, Restart Application messages...I hope it finishes the Open Project - Reading Files soon, but I've got a bad feeling....and I exited out two hours later.

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are the obvious things like rebooting the PC, restarting the project and checking all updates are applied. I'm guessing you have done those.

Open one of the sample projects and see if it happens there.

Is RoboHelp installed to the default directory? Are you working directly on that machine or remotely? Any source control?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I restarted RH this morning and it started up Ok. I have since rebooted the PC, restarted RH, and restarted the project.

• All RH updates are applied. I'm on 14.0.12.
  • RH is installed in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2019 folder.
  • The computer is running Windows 10.
  • I'm running RH directly from my machine.
  • I'm not using source control.

After the reboot, I opended the project I was working in and added an index entry. The slowness in the Index field is still occurring. It did not occur, however, when I added an entry in the Search field. I then generated the file and it appears to have generated correctly.

I will test it with one of the sample projects this morning and update this post with those results ... meeting time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened the Learn a Latte sample project and the response for opening the Index field was fine. I closed that project and re-opened my project and the slow response was still present. This is a project converted from RH 11. It's an old project and seems to have a lot of index entries. It is comprised of a little over 500 topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using New UI in anger at the moment, but did a test upgrade of a merged suite of projects. One of the projects contains about 500 topics and something over 300 index entries and I'm not seeing any issues trying to add a keyword. Although as I said I'm not using the project all day.

I did upgrade the projects to 2019 Classic first, though, so if you went direct to New UI, it's possible something got cleaned up in the intermediate step. If you went direct, then perhaps you could get an old RH11 copy of a project and upgrade it through Classic as a test? If that does make a difference you could compare a couple of topics to see if there are any obvious differences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Amber's response, Adobe's official line is that whilst many projects will upgrade direct, it's best to go via 2019 Classic. RoboHelp 11 is several versions back so try Amber's suggestion if you can.

After creating a new project in 2019 and assuming it is working OK, you can copy any changed topics from the previous 2019 project using File Explorer.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried Amber's response yet, but will. If I understood it correctly, I would just need to...

1. Go back to my last RH11 help system
  2. Upgrade it to RH 2019 Classic
  3. Test it and if good, copy in any new or changed HTML (topic) files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The method I used was

1. Upgrade RH11 project to RH2019 Classic.

2. Quick check to make sure nothing seemed obviously broken and it generated okay.

3. Upgrade the RH2019 Classic project to RH2019 New UI.

If it's still slow, it's something with your project and we'd need to think of some more ideas. 🙂

If the project in New UI is now good, then I'd take a backup of the project first - zip it up and save it somewhere safe. Then you could import one or two topics from your slow 2019 New UI project and test again. I would be cautious about importing as you might re-import what is causing the problem. Doing a few at a time will help you pinpoint where the problem is, if it starts again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp