• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a solution for Searching in Asian Pacific (double-byte) languages?

Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp HTML (RH9)

I am using RoboHelp 9.0 to create online Help for our company's flagship software application. The project files are composed in English, and then the components, including topics, toc, glossary, etc. are translated into 21 languages. These languages compile without error, creating the appropirate Contents, Search and Favorites tabs.

The problem I'm having is that the Search function does not work tor the Asian Pacific languages; e.g., Chinese (both traditional and simplified), Korean, Japanese, and Thai. The "No topics found" error message displays, instead of the Search results list. See example below.

SearchError.jpg

Can anyone help? I'm guessing there's a simple solution to this problem, but I'm not finding it in any of the forums or elsewhere online.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

The simple solution

Compiling HTML Help files for Asian Pacific (AP) languages, including Japanese, Chinese (simplified and traditional), and Thai requires that you change the Location and Locale settings on your computer to match the target language. The Control Panel’s Region and Language dialog has everything you need to change your computer’s native language. It can be deceiving, however, because you must change the settings on three of the tabs, but NOT the fourth. And figuring out WHICH of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2011 Oct 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work if you just type one character? (no solution, just kind of wondering out loud)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the character is non-Chinese/Korean/Thai, the system will search for and find all instances of that character. If the character is double-byte; for example, if I copy a character from the content and paste it into the search box, it will not find the character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have no other ideas. I thought I'd seen something about double-byte only working for single characters  not multiple, but obviously that's not the case.

Edit: I did some more searching and found a couple of references to search not working correctly for double-byte languages. None for RH9 though. One post suggested contacting support about the problem, or perhaps lodge a bug with Adobe.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you confirm what web browser (and version) you are using when you encountered this error.

Thanks,

Mohit Arora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohit

Bill will be in bed right now so I am adding some information.

First I think Bill is using RoboHelp 8 and I have asked him to confirm that. More importantly though his post does not mention that he is creating CHMs.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 9, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All pour machines are using IE 9.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohit--

I'm reasonably sure that all are using IE9.0.X. That's also what I have on my PC at work, and the results are the same--no ability to search in chinese, thai, and other double-byte languages.

Thanks for picking up the challenge, and thank you Peter for supporting the cause!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, since its a CHM issue, the web browser wouldn't really matter. Or are you saying that its not working for you even in web help? I had verified at my end and things seem to be fine in Web Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohit--

To clarify, your post of December 13, 2011 asked what browser and version was being used. I answered with IE9.0.X. We are creating CHM files (HTML Help), not Web Help.

Whether the problem is browser-related or not should not matter... I agree with your statement. I am creating CHMs with four tabs: Contents, Search, Favorites, and Glossary. The problem is that Search does not work AT ALL with HTML Help. I have tried IE, Firefox/Mozilla, and Chrome; none work. If you browse to any random page, copy Chinese (both traditional and simplified), Korean, Japanese, or Thai text into the Clipboard, paste that text into the Search window, and then click List Topics, NOTHING happens.

We are a global company based in Japan. This means that I have to compile for Japan using Microsoft Help Workshop. The other languages I am crippling by removing the Search tab.

While we're on the subject, the Glossary tab does not work either, unless you install a speciall DLL on every system during the application software install. This is a problem for us, too.

Thanks for your help Mohit!

--Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's time to move off obsolete technology? CHMs came out in 1997 and the MS Help Workshop has been discontinued....just saying ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff - While CHM is admittedly a bit long in the tooth, I'm not sure I'd say it's "obsolete technology".

After all, its predecessor WinHelp is actually still alive and kicking even in the latest incarnation of Windows!

Then again, I do have a certain fondness for CHM files.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WinHelp alive & kicking in Win7? You have to download a viewer from MS to even see WinHelp files - it's not even included with Windows since Vista according to MS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

LOL, yep, you fell for the Microsoft hype. Hook, Line and Sinker.

Here's the deal. WinHelp exists in two flavors. 16 Bit and 32 Bit. 16 Bit WinHelp continues to function just fine in Vista and Windows 7 with no additional download. If you try to run a 32 Bit WinHelp, you then must download the WinHelp Viewer for 32 bit.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys--

Great discussion, but still no help. Once again, I am using HTML help!!! WinHelp Viewer, 16- or 32-bit is NO HELP. (pardun the pun)

--Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Bill, we did devolve a bit there.

Question here. Are you testing by compiling and opening on an operating system where the language is actually used?

Here's my thought. CHMs adapt to whatever the operating system is. I note that in your initial screen shot, the CHM file is showing "HTML Help" as well as the dialogs showing English text. I'm thinking perhaps you need to actually compile the CHM and test it on an operating system that would also present these dialogs in that language. Otherwise, there will likely be problems because of differences in character sets and the like.

If you wish to rule out RoboHelp as a potential issue, you can try compiling by just using the HTML Help Workshop (HHW) from Microsoft. But my guess is that you will see the same results there. After all, RoboHelp has to use the HHW to compile CHMs too.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Captiv8r--

Good point, and an excellent question. Yes, we have individual machines in QA with each of 21 languages installed. I have personally tested the Help files in all of the AP languages, and Search consistently returns nothing, unless you search for English terms that routinely avoid translation, Examples include: LAN, DVD, and Blu-ray.

As for compiling on machines with the target language set up... No, I have only one copy of RoboHelp, and it's installed on an "English" machine. However, in the HTML Help Options dialog, I set the Language to the target before compiling the HTML Help CHM file. Hard to tell what effect this drop-down selection has (if any).

Does this help?

--Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

First off, what you are describing sounds more like an issue with the format itself. So I'm doubtful RoboHelp will be able to influence things either way.

I think before I would concede defeat, I'd try copying down the HTML Help Workshop (HHW) and installing on a target machine. Copy your project to CD or another transfer medium (flash drive, external drive, SD card, etc) and try compiling the project on one of the target machines. Then test.

HHW may be downloaded free of charge from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=21138

You won't need RoboHelp to compile on one of the other machines.

You might also consider posting this issue over on the HATT list at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HATT/

There are far more users there that may have other insights.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff-- Stuff it. Not helpful. My job is to make it work. I can't always take the easy way out of difficult situations like this one.

@Captiv8r-- Thanks Rick. It's not as though I have a voice in selecting the tool that my company uses globally to deliver Online Help.We have older equipment out there and we have to maintain compatibility with those older units. We also have writers/developers all over the world who are standardized on CHM for help files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Knock yourself out - best of luck!

;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill

The CHM viewer actually uses bits of Microsoft Internet Explorer as the display mechnaism. So questioning the browser may indeed be related.

There is no way around using the HHActiveX.dll. That's something unique to RoboHelp created CHM files and is simply required in order to make the Glossary tab function. No other authoring tool offers this functionality. The DLL is what modifies the CHM viewer window.

If you decide this isn't worth the extra effort of installing and registering the DLL on all computers, you may wish to investigate using the Glossary Hotspot Wizard. This will populate your topics with expanding hotspots that reveal the glossary definitions.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Captiv8r--

Rick, Thanks for the answer on the Glossary DLL. Peter Grainge already provided this information in another discussion thread.

Anything on Search for double-byte languages? This is the problem this thread started with... still hoping for a solution. This is a common problem that many global companies face. It deserves a solution for our Asian-Pacific customers.

--Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an article on the problem with the chm compiler:

http://helpware.net/FAR/far_faq.htm#JapComp

See if making the suggested changes help with your RH compile. Or follow Rick's suggestion of trying a compile with HHW on a Japanese computer.

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The simple solution

Compiling HTML Help files for Asian Pacific (AP) languages, including Japanese, Chinese (simplified and traditional), and Thai requires that you change the Location and Locale settings on your computer to match the target language. The Control Panel’s Region and Language dialog has everything you need to change your computer’s native language. It can be deceiving, however, because you must change the settings on three of the tabs, but NOT the fourth. And figuring out WHICH of the three is not intuitive. Here are the steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Double-click the Region and Language icon.
  3. On the tabs listed below, do the following:
    • Format - click on the Format down-arrow and select a language. In this example, let’s choose “Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan).”
    • Location - click on the Current location down-arrow and select “China.”
    • Keyboards and Languages - don’t change anything here, unless you actually have a Chinese keyboard and enjoy trying to decipher Chinese characters on screen. This tab changes the language of many of the items displayed on your screen and in Windows Explorer, and expects that you will be entering data on a Chinese keyboard, which I assume is slightly different from an English one.
    • Administrative - click the Current system locale down-arrow and select “Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)” again.
  4. When prompted, restart your computer.

You are now ready to compile your Chinese CHM files. When complete, open the CHM and test the Search function to ensure that everything works properly.

That’s all there is to it. I have tested this solution only on Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 7 Home Edition, but it works just fine with both operating systems. The procedure shown above works equally well for Japanese, Thai , and Simplified Chinese.

IMPORTANT - For all other languages, none of this is necessary. Keep your language and locale set to your native language (English) and your should be able to compile in all non-AP languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp