• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to create an e-Learning module just using Rh 11 Application Help (Online Help - CHM)?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INQUIRY: Creating an e-Learning module just using Rh Application Help (CHM file - installed locally) SSL and just using Rh 11 and with no dependencies (i.e. Rather than importing a swf  file created byCaptivate 7 files, and published to an external URL). Yes old school thinking perhaps, but I am looking for alternatives.

HISTORY: I am using Rh 11 (Technical Communication Suite). We’ve developed Captivate video tutorials which integrate with our Rh video tutorial project, and then published to an URL. These videos are only accessible via a URL from a Web Help browser.

MY QUESTION:  Is there a way to create a slide presentation using Rh alone (with no external dependencies like our Captivate videos)? 

WHAT I ENVISION: For example, does Rh have a PowerPoint functionality or a slide deck mechanism that I can use. The result, the User would be on a screen (e.g. one of our apps), wanted to know more (“How To…,”) and accesses the online help (pressing the F1 key). Within the help topic page, there would be an e-Learning hyperlink, when clicked, jumps the User to a tutorial that would allow the User to walk-through (e.g. clicking a <next> button to advanced to the next slide/screen) and this action could be done using our existing Online Help Browser (e.g. the F1 content sensitive - CHM file).

Thank you.

~PM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

And here is the link to the video. Hopefully it helps...

Also, (and this may be what Adobe support tried) you cannot create Responsive HTML 5 from Captivate and use that inside a CHM. I don't believe the CHM viewer knows how to deal with the HTML 5 output. So it's rather critical that you ensure the Captivate project is NOT Responsive. Then you produce it as a SWF.

Click here to view the video

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

RoboHelp doesn't have anything built into it that would facilitate this. But that's not to say it couldn't be done if desired. For example, you are able to insert a META Refresh tag into the head area of topics to cause them to load a different topic after a set period of time. So you could construct a "self running slide show" by creating multiple topics that each present an image in succession.

But if you have Captivate available, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just do this using Captivate. Publish as a SWF from Captivate then add that to your RoboHelp project.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for checking in, as well, sharing your knowledge.

To answer you, I was asked to see if there was a way for the user to simply follow a step-by-step (i.e. clicking a next button) tutorial rather than having an automated (video - - animation) approach. In addition, without relying on URL (i.e. posting SWF). Btw, do you have a sample RH demo project that shows the "self running slide show", I am intrigued.

Now, I did find a way to Export (Publish) a swf file into a PDF. The pdf if I am not mistaken, it encapsulates the entire file and can be played in within Adobe Reader. However, When importing this PDF (thinking I can embed the video itself into the help topic and able to be viewed via the online CHM browser; no cigar.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Sounds like you may not be overly familiar with Captivate and you are thinking it only creates video type content or animations that don't pause. Captivate can indeed operate exactly as you are wanting.

When you create a Captivate output, you are able to choose SWF as an output option. (Well, you can as long as you aren't using the "Responsive" type of project.) And that SWF can be directly embedded into a RoboHelp topic.

Sorry, but I don't have any example handy for the slide show bit. I was thinking out loud about it. I suppose I could toss one together.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe Browse Sequences might work? You can find it under Tools > Browse Sequence Editor. You would create each "slide" as a topic, then add them in this dialog box in the order required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Since you mentioned the option to embed a video (swf), prior to me posting on this forum yesterday, I had a Chat session with Adobe Support. An excerpt below:

Me:

Is there a way to embed a video (swf) within the Online Help "CHM" browser; in other words, when Rh generates the Single Source Layout (e.g. WebHelp.ssl) the system would have a way to encapsulate the .swf file in the xxx.chm file?

Ambika:

you cannot publish any .SWF format from robohelp however embedd a video using multimedia option.

Ambika:

in robohelp there is an option of inserting multimedia that multimedia can be any thing like a video or an audio, however that will be played within the published project.

Me:

So, Rh can only house a video framework (link) but there must be an external source (URL site) to do so?

Ambika:

yes, that is correct.

So for clarity, are you saying that I can encapsulate the actual swf file within Rh Application help file (online Help CHM file)?

Thanks again for responding!

~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh the call center. You have to love them and often you hate them, eh?

All I have to say is... HOGWASH

I've put together a video to demonstrate. It's rendering and uploading at the moment. Once it completes, I'll post again with a link to view it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL Thanks Mate (I say this because I assume you're across the pond, e.g. "Cheers") I'll keep an eye out for the link; and if you're in the States visiting family/friends, then Happy Thanksgiving

~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, yeah, I'm in the states. For the time being.

I'm not sure where I picked up the "Cheers" ending. But I've used it for longer than I can remember when participating in forums.

Specifically I'm in Kansas City, MO.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here is the link to the video. Hopefully it helps...

Also, (and this may be what Adobe support tried) you cannot create Responsive HTML 5 from Captivate and use that inside a CHM. I don't believe the CHM viewer knows how to deal with the HTML 5 output. So it's rather critical that you ensure the Captivate project is NOT Responsive. Then you produce it as a SWF.

Click here to view the video

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rick for taking the time to put together a mini video; this has helped me (prove it can be done ) and will help others in the Rh World.

~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp