• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to post a .chm to a network drive?

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've read numerous posts on this subject, but all seem to indicate there is no way without making registry changes, etc.  I also saw mention of selecting an 'unblocking' checkbox in the .chm file properties, but I see no such option.

Since the posts are rather old I'm hoping maybe something has changed and there is a simple way to accomplish putting a .chm file on a network drive.  I need to share one with multiple departments at work and was hoping to put it on SharePoint. I'm using RH11 and Windows 7.  If I can't use a .chm, is there any other 'stand-alone' output from RH11 that can be used across a network?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Diane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane

Unfortunately CHMS haven't worked on a network without jumping through some hoops for a very long time. The only time you see the "Unblock" option is when you have perhaps downloaded a CHM file from the internet. When that happens, the operating system considers the file suspect until you pat it on the head and tell it that things will be okay.

If you really want the CHM to work from a network drive, you will have to adjust the registry of any and all PCs that will be accessing it. And that process is described on my dear friend Peter Grainge's site at the link below:

Click here to read

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that it was back in 2006 that Microsoft changed the security policy for Internet Explorer, which suddenly caused all the CHM files to display blank pages when viewed across a network. The situation has not changed, as it was a deliberate security workaround by Microsoft.

The only way for your departments to view your CHM file is for them to copy that CHM over to their local machine.

As an alternative to CHM, another standalone output would be Printed Documentation to a PDF file. That would work fine when viewed across the network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roderick, it's technically incorrect to state that the only way to view the CHM is to copy it locally. One can still make CHMs work on a LAN drive by taking steps to relax the security on the PCs that need to see it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that one's users could go into their security settings for Internet Explorer, and ramp down the security to allow viewing of the CHMs across a network. However, this would be a foolish endeavor, and it would be prudent to resort to PDFs for viewing across a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp