Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with the Hyperlink

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are using RoboHelp to create Help files. Recently we came across an issue with hyperlinks. Different writers in the team work on different topics of the same help file. during release we merge the content and publish it. This time around we noticed, almost 80% of the hyperlinks are not working. This includes the links in the topics that hasn't been merged.

We have fixed the issue by going through all the topics and fixing the links, but I am not able to find the root cause. These are not displayed in the Broken Links too.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Always helps if you state the version of RoboHelp.

Have you tried the simple expedient of trashing the CPD file and re-opening the project?

When you merge are you just replacing older files with new ones or are you adding as well? The latter would have to be imported?

RoboHelp is not designed to work the way you are without source control. It sounds like a method that has worked so far but that's rather like jumping off the roof and saying I didn't break any bones last time. 🙂

See www.grainge.org f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always helps if you state the version of RoboHelp.

Have you tried the simple expedient of trashing the CPD file and re-opening the project?

When you merge are you just replacing older files with new ones or are you adding as well? The latter would have to be imported?

RoboHelp is not designed to work the way you are without source control. It sounds like a method that has worked so far but that's rather like jumping off the roof and saying I didn't break any bones last time. 🙂

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response, you are correct in many ways . Here are the answers to your questions.

RoboHelp Version- Robohelp 2015

A: When we add new topics we import the topics. But if there is an existing topics we just replace the content inside the topic instead of replacing the whole file in the Source folder.

A: We have not tried it. However, we will try it the next time we face the issue.

RoboHelp is not designed to work the way you are without source control.

What is exactly Source Control. Is it a process. Can you provide me some link where I can learn about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Source control is a method whereby you you check a copy of the project into a repository on a network server. Then each author accesses the project and checks out just the topics they need to work on. There are many source control programs and RoboHelp ships with its own, see the Collaborate tab on the ribbon. That and many other programs prevent two authors accessing the same topic at the same time. Beware though as I believe some do not and only warn of of a conflict when checking back in.

The team I worked with all had their own projects so we didn't need it and I have no experience of working with it.

There is a separate source control forum and there is some information in RoboHelp's own help. Your developers will likely use some form of source control for their code and should be able to set things up.

I have used your approach but I never had the problem you describe.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp