• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Javascript to know if in full-context view or not?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have RoboHelp 2017 (latest version). We use a merged HTML5 help system, and we're customizing our first page (intro.htm) in that merged help system

I'm knee-deep in Javascript code, and I need my js code on that page to find out if we're in a full context view or not. The easiest way, I can think of is to just check the URL.

Example URL (Not in Full Context):

file:///D:/DocProjects/Outputs/pcdmis/2021.1/en/helpcenter/mergedProjects/helpcentertopics/intro.htm

Example URL - In Full Context):

file:///D:/DocProjects/Outputs/pcdmis/2021.1/en/helpcenter/index.htm#t=mergedProjects%2Fhelpcentertopics%2Fintro.htm

Note that the full context view has "#t=". That's the magic bit I'm checking for. Also, note that intro.htm is within a child project in the merged help system, and the javascript script is called within that project.

I pass the URL into this function which checks if the URL has "#t=" so that the function can determine if I'm in full context view or not:

function isFullContext(url){
    console.log(url + " - made it into isFullContext function")
    if (url.indexOf("#t=") > -1) {
      console.log(url + " - full context is true");
      i = true;
    } else {
      console.log(url + " - full context is false");
      i = false;
    }
    return i;
  }

The problem is that the code never returns the full URL (the one with the "#t=") even though I can visually see the full-context URL in my browser address bar.

I've tried these:

window.location.href
document.location.href

document.URL

document.documentURI

Even though I'm clearly in a full-context view, with the longer URL, the above attempts always return this string/URL:

"file:///D:/DocProjects/Outputs/pcdmis/2021.1/en/helpcenter/mergedProjects/helpcentertopics/intro.htm"

Apparently, my page in the "frame"--or whatever you call it that RH puts around the page in full-context view--has no concept that the frame exists.

Is there a function that that returns the full text of the address field in the browser that I'm missing? Am I putting my script in the wrong spot? Should it be in the parent project? Or, is there a RoboHelp function that RH uses to know if it's in full context view that I could use?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

I found a function (thingy?) called isIframe(). Manually adding this to an output topic at least logs a console note.

<script>

if(iFrm = rh._.isIframe()) {
console.log("Framed!");
} else {
console.log("Not framed");
}

</script>

I found it after some internet searching turned up this:

https://humanwhocodes.com/blog/2013/04/16/getting-the-url-of-an-iframes-parent/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a function (thingy?) called isIframe(). Manually adding this to an output topic at least logs a console note.

<script>

if(iFrm = rh._.isIframe()) {
console.log("Framed!");
} else {
console.log("Not framed");
}

</script>

I found it after some internet searching turned up this:

https://humanwhocodes.com/blog/2013/04/16/getting-the-url-of-an-iframes-parent/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In a word, that my friend, Amebr, was amazing! I spent six hours the last couple of days trying to figure this thing out and thought it might be impossible as I ended up getting cross origin issues trying to do parent.location to get the parent iframe url yesterday.

This is exactly what I needed! And it's simpler too than my approach. Less code. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp