Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JSX: Topicmanager vs. Linked Word files

Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually the Topicmanager holds the HTM files in the same order as the ProjectManager displays them in RH.

But with linked Word files the list gets totally scrambled. RH still shows them right in the ProjectManager pane, but 'RoboHelp.project.TopicManager' returns them unsorted!

How can I retrieve the real sorted list?

I do not have a TOC at this stage - this is what I want to create.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linked Word documents are presented in the order they were generated from the Word document. You can sort them if you parse the rhworddocs.apj yourself.

Why is it important to have the alphabetical list? Are you trying something specific?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I want to create a TOC in the same order as the HTM files are sorted in the Word files. But the Topicmanager does not have any order anymore with linked word files. The order of the word files is clear to me, but I need their contents. The only workaround I found, is to create a temporary TOC which I use instead of the Topicmanager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's indeed a problem. You can use the autoCraeteTOC method on the TOC object to create a TOC as well.

To get the order of generated HTML files, you will have to parse the rhworddocs.apj yourself. Take a look at my extendscript library. It has a few examples where I parse that file to give you an idea of how I do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I do not need this anymore.

Now RH stalls completely, when I try to use more than 10 linked word files.. I'm feeling like a beta tester.. One last attempt I will make: RH2015. If it also does not work there, I rather wait for RH2019. Maybe MS comes out with a better solution in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Going back to earlier in the thread, I believe you are saying the topics are in the right order for your TOC. If so, why not drag from there to create your TOC?

Looking at the later issue, 10 Word docs should not of itself cause Rh to stall. I am not trying to over defend Rh here but typically when Rh baulks linking or importing, deeper investigation reveals the issue is with the Word documents. Are these documents that you could share with me direct? If you can, see the Contact Page on my site.

I will take a look but it will not be for a few days.

Microsoft abandoned anything to do with generating help many years ago so don't hold your breath.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp