• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Left Pane Width in Browser-Based Air Help

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently transitioned to TCS 3.5 and have noticed an issue with my generated browser-based Air help where the left pane (Contents / Index / Glossary etc) is way too large (far larger than the longest topic name). This was not the case with the exact same project generated as browser-based Air help in TCS 2.0. I saw this thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3295664) which alluded to this same issue with RH 8 though in that case the author wished to increase the size of the pane.

This issue has been consistent across Firefox and Internet Explorer and at differing screen resolutions. I know the width of the left pane can be manually adjusted but my audience is not exactly tech savvy and this would not be intuitive for them. The response to the RH8 thread indicated that the size could NOT be adjusted. I am hoping that this is not the case for RH - OR - at least someone can explain why the same project generated in TCS 2 does not reflect this increased width issue.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem drove us nuts too... Believe me Adobe is aware of it and surely they ll fix it soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not just me either then! Does anyone know of an answer to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AirHelp has not been updated for several versions of RoboHelp and is not included in RoboHelp 2019 other than in the Classic version. I very much doubt you will see any updates in future. It simply did not prove popular.

Responsive HTML 5 help is where things are going now.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter - helpful as ever.

The main thing for me is that I need the output to be distributed as a standalone application. I saw your comment to say that you could do this with Responsive HTML 5. I had a look at your site and can see how you would generate a mobile app but can't see I can generate a desktop app.  I've downloaded a trial version of the RoboHelp 2019 and can see how I might output some local, interlinked web files but I am looking for more of a desktop application look and feel.

Are there any pointers you can offer in this regard? I have all the files from my old Air Help build and wondering if it might just be a case of abandoning RoboHelp and getting something bespoke built from the original files. It is a shame as the old AirHelp really did provide the output I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real issue is that there's really no single-file output installer out there anymore - CHMs are still in use, but ancient technology, AIRHelp has been pseudo-deprecated, and there's been no successor for either. My current plan is to migrate off both WebHelp and locally installed AIRHelp to Responsive HTML5 on the web with a form of zipped-up self-extracting installer to deposit the same files locally in instances of non-Internet connection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also thinking of something similar - I have the html content files and so I may just ask a software developer to create a bespoke application wrapper. It's a high-ticket commercial methodology I have created for resale and so would like to look and feel more than just a collection of web pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff raises a good point. The thread is about browser based AIR help. Your

problem sounds like you are referring to installed AIR help. Which is it?

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's installed Air Help I am looking at - apologies if this is the wrong thread, I was tagging onto an earlier question on TOC width.

This is the sort of output from Air Help which worked perfectly for our purposes. It held the full methodology of processes, tools, templates and we could wrap the whole thing in a license wrapper for commercial distribution.

RoboHelp AirHelp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The apps are for iOS and Android only, that's why I referred to apps rather than programs.

You want the output distributed as a standalone application. Any output can be opened from the start page as you have seen. The appearance though will look like help rather than an app. That said, so did AIR help so I'm not quite clear why that is an issue. Perhaps an image of what you want would help.

I suggest you backup your existing project and then upgrade it in your trial. Create a responsive output from a supplied layout and see if that has potential.For now, do this in 2019 Classic as it is more like earlier versions in general terms.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp