• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking Bookmarks in RoboHelp 2020

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to link a bookmark created in one topic to certain terms in another topic. To clarify my point, here is a use case:
1. Create two topics: Topic 1 and Topic 2

2. Add a Head2 to Topic 1 and insert a bookmark next to the Head2.

3. Now, create a Head 2 in Topic 2 and add some content to it. Try linking certain terms in the content to the bookmark in Topic 1.

I tried using Insert Links> Cross-Reference> Add bookmark. The problem is that the term to which the bookmark should be linked is being replaced by the bookmark term( headin) itself. How do I link the term to that heading in a way the term is not replaced?

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

@ASR1411 the only thing that was missed in step 3 is searching the bookmark id. here is the attached steps
Step 1.pngStep 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you want to insert a Hyperlink to the other bookmark in Topic 1 - that will preserve your text in Topic 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ASR1411 , I suppose you want to add a hyperlink from some content in topic2 to head2 in topic1, right? For that, instead of cross-reference option, you should go for Insert Links > Hyperlink option. In the Hyperlink configuration window, you can set the text which you want to display.
Hyperlink1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, Thanks for the response. Won't adding a hyperlink , link the content to the Topic itself?. I wish to link it to a particular Head2 in that topic. So, that when I click the link mapped to the term in Topic 2, I will be directed to the designated Head2 in Topic1. Hope that now my question makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we want to link a content, we use Hyperlink option. By saying content I mean it could be a term or a sentence. In case of bookmark option, we have a fixed set of displayed text value as Heading text, Page number, Chapter number, and  Heading text with page number, it can't be changed. It just gets updated when you update that topic. In your case, you have to select the content which you want to map it ot the head2 in topic1 and use hyperlink options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Achal__ 's screenshot doesn't show it, but if you've set the bookmarks up on the spots in Topic 1 (which they have, but aren't seen because they aren't showing Topic 1), they will appear in the list of "things to be linked to" that they show. Notice that the "thing to link to" has the "#" part? That's the bookmark over in Topic 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_Coatsworth Yeah bookmark is setup in topic 1 as "head2"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_Coatsworth I do not see the #. This is what I have experienced.

1. I have added my bookmark in topic1
ASR1411_0-1621601071660.png

2. Highlighted the term that I wish to link the bookmark to.

ASR1411_1-1621601137924.png

3. I do not see the bookmark in the Hyperlink window. If I link it, it will take me to the topic, but not to the Head2 where I have applied the bookmark. This is needed in case the topic has many Headings.

ASR1411_3-1621601185986.png

In earlier versions it was simpler to perform this task. But now, the bookmarks are only visible in the cross-reference window. The issue being that the term is being replaced by the bookmark term itself as cross-references are supposed to work.

ASR1411_4-1621601453898.png

I am not sure why it is not working for the RoboHelp version 2020.3.32 that I have. If it does work for you @Achal__ @Jeff_Coatsworth could you please share the proper steps with screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ASR1411 the only thing that was missed in step 3 is searching the bookmark id. here is the attached steps
Step 1.pngStep 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. It works for me now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been advised you need a hyperlink. Cross References are specifically designed to show the target so that if it is changed, the link changes with it. Say you have a heading My Topic and you cross reference that, later you change the heading to Our Topic. Hyperlinks all need updating, cross references do not, they will change.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would apply Patch 4 and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp