• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

<RoboHelp HTML 9 - CHM file> Change name of the Index tab in chm file.

Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a requirement that change the name of the Index tab in chm file to another name like Sync, fox example.

I don't have this experience, anyone knows, please help me.

Thank you.

Goldfish184.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

There are only two ways I'm aware of to change this.

1. Localize the CHM and run it on a different version of the Windows operating system. For example, if it is run on an Italian version of Windows, the name will still be Index, but will become the Italian version of Index.

2. IF you are using RoboHelp 10, you have a new capability. You may now run a script that will insert WebHelp inside the CHM file. Because of this method, you may change the WebHelp Index to read whatever you want it to read. Then stash it inside the CHM wrapper to obtain what you want.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick!

I'm using Rh 11, can you provide me this script (w/instructions)? This is in reference to the Rh CHM Help (not WebHelp) browser - - changing the label name from "Index" to whatever I like (e.g. "Rick").

Thank You!

~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Basically you would create and edit a WebHelp skin so that the Index tab reads as you want. Then in your project, open the Script Explorer pod and run the WebHelp to CHM converter script. That would package the WebHelp inside the CHM.

I don't have RoboHelp 11 in front of me at the moment, but if memory serves, click View > Pods and Script Explorer should be listed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick!

Thank you for your quick response!  I finished creating my WebHelp "skin" and I have the Script Editor open (WebHelp to CHM Converter.jsx). Now, I just have to figure out to run this (e.g. Looking for source and target in code to populate, so I can execute... I guess???)

I'm going to try Peter's instructions: RH10 Skinned CHMs

Well, first off, thanks to Rick and Peter for their direction. Second, I am not a big fan of this script/utility -  -  having to execute this script to generate WebHelp (all the unnecessary files needed since I am not publishing on a web server) for every project, it will put a load on our build server. In addition, I lose my control for branding (e.g. Proprietary messages in footer, etc.).

Other than relying on the workaround mentioned above (Create WebHelp skin > Run script), there must be another solution for editing the name "Index" on a 'CHM' Index tab (shown below) behind the scenes; this is all I really want to do! Any programmatic gurus know of a way?

chm_print.jpg

Thanks,

~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Basically you right click in the Script Explorer and choose Run. Then fill in the details.

EFN2.png

As for changing that name, yeah, that's the rub, no? I mean it just seems to incredibly easy, no? But it's not. I remember when I began working with CHM files so many years ago that I wanted to change one of the icons in the toolbar to my company's logo. Never happened because these things are locked into the CHM viewer.

All I can say is good luck in making that change!

Best of luck to you... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick! Yeah, I figured it out how to "run" the script. *EDIT: I did find the Conditional Build Expression (My WebHelp SSL > Properties > Content Categories > Content Default) check box located on Wen Help SSL. However, as I pointed out previously that the repetitive generations that must be run which will will not fly.

In closing, it's a great feature for a one-time execution, packaged, and deploy, however, I have 14 projects that each have a help chm file which are called and generated from a nightly build procedure, unfortunately, it's not practical.

~PM

Below, a video and another step-by-step for the Rh Chum Community to enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick and Rh community members,

Executing an Rh Script from a Command Line: What is the proper command (NOTE: Peter, I referred to your website on running Rh commands - couldn't find what I was looking for with regards to parameters.) to execute an Rh script (WebHelp to CHM Converter.jsx)?

Per Rh 11 help topic (Home / Using RoboHelp HTML 11 / Advanced program features > About ExtendScript Toolkit support):

Using the command line

You can run scripts by entering a command in the following format:

Robohtml.exe -x [scriptfilenames]

What about the Parameters (See pic below); how do I call (interject) them within the command line?

PM_Rh_script.jpg

NOTE: I tried (Ref. my command line below), nothing happened,other than Rh launching:

C:\Windows\system32>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 11\RoboHTML\Robohtml.exe" -X "C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\RoboHTML\11.00\Scripts\Sample Scripts\WebHelp to CHM Converter.jsx"

Cheers!

~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you wanting to somehow launch the WebHelp to Converter script from the command line?

This is likely something that Adobe will need to chime in on.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick!

Yes. We want to include the script execution (mentioned above - - testing the command line manually first) into our Bat file which run our nightly documentation builds, like we do for our CHMs and Printed Documentation. We currently use a bat file that several have command lines that triggers Rh and the associated SSLs.

Thanks,

~PM

(EDIT) PS - If my command line inquiry is beyond the scope of this forum, would it be possible for you to send my question to an Adobe Rh Developer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

the current script does not accept any command line arguments which means for having 1) CHM File output location 2) WebHelp Output SSL 3) Default Window,  you would need to add small code in the main function to accept all three as command line arguments and post that use these in the function OnGenerateBtnClick where they are being called from the dialog box. Three lines in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\RoboHTML\13.00\Scripts\Sample Scripts\WebHelp to CHM Converter.jsx which would need to have the arguments as passed in main() function

szCurrentSSLName = mainDlg.g_WebhelpSSL.ddl_webhelp.selection.toString();

szCurrentWindowName = mainDlg.g_windowlist.ddl_window.selection.toString();

var szCHMOutputFile = mainDlg.g_Output.et.text;

and also comment out

mainDlg.show();

from showMainDialog() function and instead have OnGenerateBtnClick().

Note: please create a backup of existing jsx file before making any of the above changes

thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the information. I will pass it to my Configuration Manager for us to try.

~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp