Copy link to clipboard
I am really frustrated right now, and am ready to throw RH out the window. I am using RH 10 [10.0.1.292] on Windows 7 Professional with SP1 and 16GB of RAM. There have been no major changes to my computer other than the standard patches/updates that are routinely pushed down to us at work. I have not installed any new software.
I have been working on the same project file for the last 6-9+ months. I have not changed directories. I have not changed file names. I have not changed computers. My build from September 25, 2015, (which was our most recent product release) looked and worked beautifully.
However, on January 8, 2016, I updated our copyright date and made one or two other typo fixes, and then did another build. Apparently this is when everything went haywire. MOST (but, curiously enough, not ALL,) of the graphics within my chm file had been replaced with the "broken link/missing graphic" symbol. Here is a sample:
The really bizarre thing is each and every graphic, without exception, displays properly within its associated topic when I open the topic up to edit it, AS WELL AS in Preview Mode! Yet when I build my project and view the final result, the graphics are gone. And it isn't a case where all graphics are either missing or visible within any given topic - some graphics within any given topic are there while others are missing.
But wait - it gets even MORE bizarre. IF I:
I have done this TWICE already. But the minute I close my project, go home for the day, open my project up the next day, make a few more changes, and then generate my Primary Layout, I am back at Square One and most of my images have once again gone POOF! I simply CANNOT continue touching each and every graphic every day! My project includes 535 topics and about 850 graphics - many of which are reused throughout so touching each one is really out of the question.
I have done several searches trying to find any inkling of what is going on. I am really at my wits' end - hopefully SOMEONE has some idea of how to fix this - as I said, I am ready to scream!
Copy link to clipboard
I tried Rick's suggestion in #9 and it made no difference. Also, the HTML looks correct...
Did you try removing the .cpd and letting RH rebuild it?
Copy link to clipboard
THANK YOU both Jeff_Coatsworth and Rick - that seems to have done the trick! I am cautiously optimistic. I still need to do a more thorough review of my output file, but the quick check I did looked GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
There’s actually a setting in RH to wipe & rebuild the CPD file each time you open the project. Large projects may experience a bit of a lag if they have this wipe/rebuild flag on, so it’s usually recommended that you do it manually only when you run into a problem; little projects can have it turned on all the time if desired.
Thanks Jeff - for now, I am going to keep it turned on all the time - just a little gun shy... But now that I know where it is, I can toggle it off later if I want.
LOL, obviously neither one of you watched the video on it.
Tried Rick, but our corporate firewall throws up blockers – I suspected you covered it in there already.
Actually Rick, I did watch the video, which is how I learned where the setting is within the RH 10 Options dialog. And for now, I am maintaining the "Clear cpd files" as enabled just to ease my paranoia! LOL!
LOL, I made the assumption on the bit that Jeff mentioned the option and you seemed to agree that's how you found it.
Jeff, I"m curious. Were you blocked because your company disallows viewing YouTube? Or does my site not even show up for some reason?
The link resolved with an extra http:// in front of the real http address, but I stripped that off. YouTube videos start to play briefly & then fuzz out into “an error has occurred” message which I’m sure is designed to keep us off it around here (LOL).
The second http is missing the colon before the slashes... It was a good video. This was a great topic because I think I'd have a heart attack if something happened when I was either attempting to open my work or with the graphics missing in one output type.
Grrrr, that's a forum posting thing.
I'm not sure if you see this when working with the Adobe forums but it happens to me all the time. I click to reply and a good deal of the time the page simply reloads. Then I have to click Reply AGAIN and it works.
Likewise, when pasting a link into the little hyperlink popup, it often sort of reloads and doesn't remove that first http:// and when you paste your link in it ends up with that silly double protocol.
I really have developed a dislike for this forum platform.