Microsoft HTML Help search does not work with localized files

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently received a report from one of our partners that the Search feature does not work with Microsoft HTML Help files (CHM) localized in Chinese or Japanese. Some research shows that the issue is likely related to a mix of character and encodings (ANSI) and Windows libraries not registered for computers outside those regions (DLL issues). However, all the articles to resolve these issues appear to be around 10 years old and not applicable to Windows 10. 

 

I have tried the solutions in the old articles anyhow, but still cannot get search to work with Chinese or Japanese CHM files. Is there a modern solution for this issue? I realize CHM is very long in the tooth, but the client software has deep integrations with map IDs, etc., that only work with an embedded CHM.

 

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

65

Likes

translate

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear whether the CHMs being created in Chinese and Japanese is something new and simply doesn't work or whether it was working and has broken. If the latter, has the version of RoboHelp you are using changed?

 

Beyond that and the fact the CHMs will only work on PCs with a Chinese/Japanese OS, the only other thing I can offer is suggesting you look at Item 9 in Snippets/CHM on my site.

 

After that it's Adobe Support and Google.

 

Please use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you. The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Likes

translate

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, and apologies for the lack of specifics.

 

Search in Chinese or Japanese has not worked on CHM help compiled from any version of RoboHelp, going back to RoboHelp 11. The versions have changed and the problem has persisted.

 

I did try the instructions in that snippet, as they replicate the instructions detailed at:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/is-there-a-solution-for-searching-in-asian-pacific-double-by... 

 

I will reach out to the localization vendor to see if they can compile and test on their end, as they have computers configured in the local languages. It seems that Windows 10 has removed some of the options in the other instructions.

 

Thank you again!

Likes

translate

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation