Highlighted

Migrating from RH 11

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a couple of older RH 11 Help systems that I need to move into RH 2019. I also have one RH 2015 Responsive HTML Help system to migrate to RH 2019. Any tips, warnings, advice?

TOPICS
Classic, New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Migrating from RH 11

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a couple of older RH 11 Help systems that I need to move into RH 2019. I also have one RH 2015 Responsive HTML Help system to migrate to RH 2019. Any tips, warnings, advice?

TOPICS
Classic, New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about upgrading to 2019 Classic or 2019 with the new UI?

If to Classic, then zip up a copy of the project before you upgrade so that you are covered if anything goes wrong. It should be straightforward.

If to the new UI, then a new project is created leaving the old version untouched. Try an upgrade to 2019 new UI direct first but if you find there are issues, then upgrade to 2019 Classic and then upgrade that to the new UI. If you have to do that, then create zip copies of your RoboHelp 11 and 2015 projects first.

Make sure your version of 2019 has all updates applied first. It should show Update 10. You don't need to update incrementally. Update 10 contains all earlier updates.

www.grainge.org

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2020 1
Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll probably find the SSL build expression in the Output (SSL) doesn't get applied correctly when upgrading the RH11 to RH2019.

And for anyone else reading later, if you're using Multiscreen HTML5, then you'll have to select (and customise) a new skin (screen layout).

The biggest tip is RH2019 New UI is totally different from old RH versions, so treat the upgrade like moving to a different tool and do a lot of tests on backup copies. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I'm new to TCS 2019 as we just have installed it. Do you recommend Classic over the new UI, or vice versa? These are old, simple 600-topic, HTML help systems that are not fancy in any way (no context sensitivity) and that are going into maintenance mode for the next couple of years. The RH 2015 Help system will have a longer life, but is much smaller (50 topics) and is output as Responsive HTML.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a decision you have to make. 2019 New UI has a learning curve.

Based on the help going into maintenance mode and the simplicity of it, using Classic is the quick and easy option as you are familiar with it.

Going forward, all development will go into the new UI so at some point you may need to transition to it.

I guess it's about when you want to do that.

www.grainge.org

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2020 0
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and for RH 2019 New, if the content isn't in the table of contents, it won't be included in the output. So you may have baggage files you'll need to add to the TOC, and then hide from the TOC if you want to distribute them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2020 0