Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migration from Help and Manual to Robohelp

Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How to import a Help and Manual project in Robohelp? Using reverse engineering i can import html files but how to preserve the Snippets,variables and conditional build tags ?

Please suggest a solution to convert a Help and Manual source project to Robohelp.

Thanks in Advance,

Remesh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm unaware of a way or a utility that would allow you to seamlessly suck in a Help and Manual project and convert it to a RoboHelp project.

Aside from simply importing the HTML files into a project you are then faced with how to get the variables and other things created. As for the variables, I believe that RoboHelp ships with two scripts that may be used to crawl the project and create variables. So that might be pretty straightforward.

As for snippets, you DO have an ability to select text in a topic, right-click it and choose Add to > Snippets. But I'm unaware of an easy way to scan the project and find all instances of the same stuff and convert it to a Snippet. Perhaps Willam van Weelden‌ knows a way to easily do it using a script. Or you might contract with him to create you a script to do it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick , Thanks for yourReply.

If i have the hts files(snippet files),can i import those files using script?

Also is there any script(.jsx) available to create Book and pages in TOC from Project files ?

Regards,

Remesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the HTS files. All I can say is to try and see.

RoboHelp does offer a facility to auto-create a TOC, perhaps try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a CHM, you can use my recovery scripts to turn it back into a project. But then you will lose conditional tags and variables. But as you say, that's what you want to preserve. I don't know an out-of-the-box solution for this, but one can always be made. Also finding content using a script is not something I have lying around since that is a complicated option.

Unless you want to do some scripting yourself or hire someone (such as my humble self), the easiest way is to convert manually. I'm not sure how large your project is, but if it is small, automating it may not be worth the trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.. I am trying some scripting... let me see... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp