• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing links in RH 2015

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to RH 2015 and about half of my links are not working. I tried reimporting the document, but that didn't fix anything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Sorry we could not share our proprietary documents. The answer is to fix the links in RH. Not sure what Word is doing but something is lost in the importing process.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Links to what? Other parts of the document, external websites?

Where are they not working? All outputs or a specific output?

Have you tried copying your backup of the previous version and upgrading again?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the links go to somewhere else in the document. I have re-imported the document and reimported the help file. Same result. Links still have the blue underlined text, but no links associated with it. I reported it as a bug to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a document you can share with me?

If you can, see the Contact page on my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleague downloaded RH 2015 at the same time and has the same problem.

Think this is an Adobe bug. Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily. Is your colleague working with the same document?

If you report it as a bug, Adobe will want the document to be able to

investigate.

It's early days but I haven't seen any other reports on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is the same document and there is a problem with that document, they

will see the same document.

Can you try with another document?

Also open the document in Word and save it as an HTML file. Are all links

good there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot share proprietary documents with anyone outside of my company. This is a bug and the behavior is consistent whether I create the links in Word and import the file or create the links in RH. I have tried importing different documents and different help files. After a few saves, the links fail again in the same place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since the document is proprietary we would suggest you to garble the document (via find dialog, replace most used characters with "x" so that nothing is decipherable).

That document (with the steps to re-pro the issue) can be attached here or do mail it to us.

Regards,

Amit (amagarwa at adobe dot com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amit - I already suggested garbling the document and I also questioned whether any links were from images as there is a known problem there. Trouble is, no one is responding!

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the long wait but work went a little nuts on me.

The issue seems to happen when there is a hyperlink to another section of the document.  I've noticed that it happens most with older documents where links and sections have been moved or changed over time.

The links can range from a single work, i.e. The file is found here. Where here is the hyperlink to an entire title or section name. It doesn't seem to matter.

The issue I've seen has to do with when I try to move one of these documents into a new project, either by using the Import Word doc or creating a new project and then importing the doc.  I typically import the word doc to create the project as it's faster and you don't have to tweak the TOC.

Also I have created a mock document that I could send you that also seems to have this issue.  Basically I created a doc with a LOT of links and moved the links and sections they are related to around inside the doc, repeatedly saving and closing, then reopening the doc...   When I went to import it into RH using the Import Word Doc option to create a new project, then output it to WebHelp.  I don't think it'll take long for you to find broken links.

Thanks for your help!

JR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send the document. See the Contact page on my site for instructions.

I am expecting a Word document that has links in it and when imported some of those links will be broken. Is it always the same links? If it is, add ### in front of one or two of the links that will break.

When you import the document are you setting it to paginate at Heading 1 only?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, we have been slammed at work. And the original document is over 200 pages. Not easy to figure out where the links are going bad. And redacting the document would take way too much time. I fixed the links in RoboHelp and they have been fine since. The problem is when the document is initially imported. And like I said, I cannot release proprietary documents, no matter to whom. My colleague was able to create a test doc. It fails the same way. I would be happy to upload it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send it as instructed at Questions and Feedback

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody ever did send a project that could be checked so if anyone else comes to this thread with the same problem, sorry but unless you are willing to share, there's not much we can do on the forum.

If you also cannot share, do at least add a "Me too"  post.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I have a similar issue with internal links in a word doc not being imported properly.  For some reason about half of them point to the wrong place in the doc now?  It was working before I upgraded and my last test from RH 11 works flawlessly. However, when I check the links in RH 2015, they seem to be going elsewhere in the project than they should be.

I hope they fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone can send me a document that has this problem, I will take a look

and escalate it to Adobe if I cannot find the cause.

The alternative is for you to go direct and report a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2015 Jun 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Maryjo My surname is not Snowden.

Can you not replace the text with something like this...

This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text. This is some sample text.

... leaving a single word from the original either side of any link?

Can you create a document that when imported into a sample project has the same problem?

Does the problem occur if you import your document into a new project or into one of the sample projects? Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

If no one can send me a document, then I cannot help further and the matter will have to go direct to Adobe Tech Support who, as I have already indicated, will almost certainly need a document sent to them.

In Word 2013 what are the exact steps you take to create these links?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have either of you resolved the broken links problem?

If you have taken it up with Adobe, it would help others if you could share the solution here. If you haven't, I can take it up with them but would need a dummy document. It doesn't need your confidential content, just the broken links.

There is a known problem with images missing. Do these links involve images?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry we could not share our proprietary documents. The answer is to fix the links in RH. Not sure what Word is doing but something is lost in the importing process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp