Missing & misplaced items in TOC in responsive HTML5 help, but not when viewed on hard drive

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My responsive HTML5 output has none of the following issues when viewed either from my hard drive or from our company's network drive.

After our IT person pushed the file to our server on Edge, however, I saw the following issues when viewing the Help site from Edge:

  • Some TOC entries were missing, but their corresponding topics were not: they were linked from and accessible from other topics in the output
  • For one of the pieces of content that was present in Help (called, "ERP"), but not represented in the TOC, when I navigate to ERP by clicking a link within another topic, a different TOC entry (to a topic called, "E-verify") is highlighted. When I click the e-verify entry in the TOC, it takes me to the e-verify topic as expected. 
  • Some TOC entries from a previous version of the TOC were displayed (but there were new items in there as well that were not created at the time)
  • Some TOC entries were in the wrong TOC book (they had never been in those books in any iteration of the TOC)

Again, none of these issues are present when I open the very same file from either my hard drive or from the shared network from which our IT guy deployed the file. The TOC displays and works it should and so does the content.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer!

Dawn

Hi there

Sounds to me as if some of the content wasn't replaced properly.

I'd suggest deleting the entire file set on the server, then copying the fresh set over.

Cheers... Rick

Views

223

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Missing & misplaced items in TOC in responsive HTML5 help, but not when viewed on hard drive

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My responsive HTML5 output has none of the following issues when viewed either from my hard drive or from our company's network drive.

After our IT person pushed the file to our server on Edge, however, I saw the following issues when viewing the Help site from Edge:

  • Some TOC entries were missing, but their corresponding topics were not: they were linked from and accessible from other topics in the output
  • For one of the pieces of content that was present in Help (called, "ERP"), but not represented in the TOC, when I navigate to ERP by clicking a link within another topic, a different TOC entry (to a topic called, "E-verify") is highlighted. When I click the e-verify entry in the TOC, it takes me to the e-verify topic as expected. 
  • Some TOC entries from a previous version of the TOC were displayed (but there were new items in there as well that were not created at the time)
  • Some TOC entries were in the wrong TOC book (they had never been in those books in any iteration of the TOC)

Again, none of these issues are present when I open the very same file from either my hard drive or from the shared network from which our IT guy deployed the file. The TOC displays and works it should and so does the content.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer!

Dawn

Hi there

Sounds to me as if some of the content wasn't replaced properly.

I'd suggest deleting the entire file set on the server, then copying the fresh set over.

Cheers... Rick

Views

224

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 24, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sounds to me as if some of the content wasn't replaced properly.

I'd suggest deleting the entire file set on the server, then copying the fresh set over.

Cheers... Rick

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Apr 24, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked!!!! Thanks so much for your help and for the quick response!

Dawn

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Apr 24, 2017 0
Amebr LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if it happens again, try clearing your browser cache, closing all your browser windows, waiting 5min and trying again. (I don't know why waiting 5 min helps, as clearing your cache should be instant, but it generally does.)

I've found server caching to be particularly 'sticky' recently. (EDIT: particularly around the ToC, which will show old entries and not synchronise correctly, as you described)

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Apr 25, 2017 0