• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modify breadcrumb separator for Indigo layout (RoboHelp 2017)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to change the breadcrumb separator for the Indigo layout in RoboHelp 2017? I checked the Layout editor as well as the output CSS and JS files, and still couldn't find a place to specify a different character.

Thanks!

Amy D

2018-07-25_13-38-55.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Hy Amy,

I may have a solution for you:

1. Go to the location ...\<your project>\!ScreenLayout!\Indigo  and open the file Topic.slp by using a text editor.

2. Search for &raquo;. That's the entity for the displayed symbol. (Btw: &laquo; the next line is the entity for RTL languages.)

3. Replace it by the desired symbol (e.g. if you may use the slash just insert /) and save the file.

4. Publish your project.

5. When opening the online-help the new symbol should be displayed.

Regards

Steffen

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amy,

breadcrumbs are created via the masterpages.

Just open the assigned master page and double click the breadcrumb definition on the top of the page.

You should then see a dialog like this (it is the german version):

Select a character from the Separator (Trennzeichen) dropdown list or just enter another one.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Steven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Steven. What I'm actually trying to do is change the separator in the responsive layout, not at the topic or page level. I did try your suggestion, but it did not impact the separator in the layout. The screenshots below show the layout I'm using and an example of the generated help, respectively.

Do you have any tips on how to change the breadcrumb separator in the layout, or at least where to find the source code for it?

Thanks again for your help.

-Amy 

Responsive layout:

1.png

Example of breadcrumb separator displayed in generated output:

2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change the separator that you are referring to would involve delving into the layout's CSS and I'm not sure you would find it there.

It's not elegant but one solution would be to add breadcrumbs to a master page where, as Steffan has pointed out, you can control the separator. That of course would give you two sets of breadcrumbs but you could set the ones you currently use to be the same colour as the background. They would still be there but not seen.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter! I tried this out and it worked great. This will be a good solution if I decide to turn the breadcrumbs 'off'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Breadcrumbs in a master page show Home whereas that might be missing in the header. If you see that problem, you know the workaround.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hy Amy,

I may have a solution for you:

1. Go to the location ...\<your project>\!ScreenLayout!\Indigo  and open the file Topic.slp by using a text editor.

2. Search for &raquo;. That's the entity for the displayed symbol. (Btw: &laquo; the next line is the entity for RTL languages.)

3. Replace it by the desired symbol (e.g. if you may use the slash just insert /) and save the file.

4. Publish your project.

5. When opening the online-help the new symbol should be displayed.

Regards

Steffen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Steven! This worked perfectly. I really appreciate your help with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp